Mail and Newspaper theft - Need suggestions and advice

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fyrja

Reaction score
I have a problem, and to prevent myself from committing the sort of violence that could be considered illegal I need to find a solution.

My mailbox is on the side of the road. I live in the country, and my place is quite some distance from the mailbox.

Last week, when I received my Sunday paper it looked like it had been rifled through and some of the coupons were gone. This week the paper sat in my mailbox. Someone had opened it, separated the comics/salesflyer/coupon section from it and shoved it back into the bag. You guessed it. The coupons had been taken.

Mail has come up missing in the past as well. The coupons missing this morning confirming my suspicions are the absolute last straw. It's not just the coupons, it's the simple fact that someone seems to think it's ok to go into my box, take what they want and leave. It's invasive, disrespectful, greedy, and I simply will not stand by and be taken advantage of.

I have researched online on the prices on lockable mailboxes, but they are all upwards of $100 or more. I cannot afford to spend that much on a mailbox. I'm also fairly certain that I won't be able to talk my mail carrier or newspaper carrier into going the extra 1/4 mile to deliver to my gate, though I could try. I would think the gate, being so far into my land would deter thieves, but would be a royal pain in the rear for my mail and newspaper carriers. I'm tempted to leave a note next Sunday addressing the thief, but I doubt that would do any good. People who steal from others boxes most likely do not have the dignity nor morality to feel ashamed of what they are doing. A hidden camera is out of the question, again it's the money issue. And hiding to see if anyone goes after my newspaper would just be a bit over the top. Not to mention that with my temper it would most likely not end well at all.

I really don't feel that I should have to cancel my subscriptions and go out of my way just because someone else is such a jerk. I don't feel that I should have to accommodate a thief.

Any ideas, or suggestions would be most welcome. Thanks!

Police. It's a serious, federal offense. If they don't take it seriously contact the Postal Inspection Service.

I would leave a note on the mail box stating coupon theft (mail fraud) has been reported & that the box is being watched.

In addition my mother brought up another very serious issue. My husband is a disabled Operation Iraqi Freedom veteran. He receives all his VA paperwork, and his living stipend check in that mail box. How soon until the coupon thief figures that out and starts stealing more than coupons.

It looks like I'm really going to have to choke up the cash for a lockable box. I do agree though, I think I need to alert the postal inspector to this. Times are tough, I understand that. But stealing from a neighbor's mailbox is just completely unacceptable, no matter what.

I'm embarrassed to say that I read your post and my mind went to nefarious ways to deter this thief. I was trying to drum up ways to take on the thief without deterring the postman/postwoman or yourself, but of course contacting the police and the PO are the way to go. People can get into serious trouble for going into someone else's mail, as already stated. You can't even leave a pamphlet in a person's mailbox without risking fines. They do take it quite seriously and who knows how far the person would go- like taking the checks.

My mind still is conjuring up various traps and deterrents, though.

carebear said:
Police. It's a serious, federal offense. If they don't take it seriously contact the Postal Inspection Service.

Absolutely what carebear said!! It is a federal offense! Contact the postal inspection service...it's their job to catch thieves. The people taking your stuff have NO right to be rifling through your mail. I might go to the post office closest to you and talk to the postmaster and tell him what's going on. Perhaps you can have the mailbox moved closer to your home?

As well as having a letterbox at our home address we have a Post Office box where we get mail sent to. I know this is an added expense but maybe you could have your mail redirected there for a short time and then they will get sick of going to your letterbox.

Get someone to attach a lock to your box .... instead of spending heaps of money to buy a mail box with one.

Get a post office box, so that mail isn't delivered to your address ... not sure how this would help with your papers though.

Talk to the people who make your delivers ... hopefully they can tell you what other people are doing to prevent this.

Talk to your neighbours to check if they're having similar things happening and what they're doing.

Talk to officials and ask for their assistance.

Good luck!

Absolutely report it - it's a federal offense that WILL be taken seriously. Also, I would have your husband's checks direct deposited.

I would first report it then I would set up a game camera to see who it is that is taking your paper/mail.

You shouldn't have to have your mail re-routed or anything else. Whomever is doing it needs to be stopped.

As a former (short term) mail employee, it is a federal offense but so is delivering your newspaper into your box. Ask the postal official for help with the box issue but you also are going to have to have your newspaper delivered elsewhere. Ask them to please drive the paper up to your gate and then tip the driver for doing so.

ETA: You can not move your box without permission from the local postmaster and you can not tip the post office personnel.

Well so far so good. I received my mail and newspapers complete this weekend. I did end up having to get a lockable box unfortunately :( But luckily I found them at the local Home Depot on sale for about $35. So the damage isn't too bad.

I had no luck contacting the paper. I called them several times and got an automated system. I HATE automated systems, especially automated systems that hang up on me, with a passion. If it wasn't such a pain for me to drive all the way into town to pick up a paper, I'd just cancel the delivery.

Not to mention it's hit or miss on paper machines, as people thieve the coupons out of them all the time.

I let my postmaster know what was going on, so they are aware. But again, the problem is the burden of proof. Which is difficult as I live in such a rural area. OH, but there is one thing. I talked to a lot of my neighbors, and they are also having the same problem. So I urged them to complain as well, in the hopes that if enough people on this road complain then more proactive action will have to be taken.

We already have a P.O. Box, but for some reason despite repeated attempts to get my husband's school stipend sent to it, it still comes to the street address. That's the VA for you though. It seems like every single moment of the past 4 years has been spent fighting with them on paperwork, and trying to get them to provide appropriate medical care for my husband. They even lost his medical records from Germany! Good thing his genius wife, had the forethought to make copies of all of them before coming back to the US. This is a subject that I could rant on about for hours. So I'll clam up about it now as no one really wants to hear about it. Suffice to say that the VA system is seriously in need of a re-structure.

Calico, I know they aren't supposed to deliver to the postal box. But this is a very very rural area. Think farms, with barns, cows and horses. My house is a good 1/4 mile back from the road, and there is a gate and lots of dogs (my mom rescues dogs, so there's anything between 10 and 14 at any time). Part of the reason I decided to not ask them to come to the gate is because of the dogs. Some of the animals have behavioral problems as they came from abusive backgrounds, so I'd rather not put anyone who hasn't worked with the animals in danger. Having them drop the paper in the box in the past has never been a problem, I'm sure it's because of the area being so rural. If I lived in a suburban neighborhood I could see this being an issue, but since I'm so far out in the country people tend to be a bit more lax on some of the rules and regulations. This is both a good and a bad thing.

Back