Made my first body butter - yum!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kelleyaynn

Reaction score
Well, okay, I have no idea how it tastes (yuck), but I tweaked a recipe I found online, and I LOVE it! works great for both body and hands. It is a mango-shea-cocoa butter cream with coconut oil. It has water and polawax for an emulsifier, and I added a bit of cornstarch and glycerin, and it absorbed really quickly, and feels fabulous. Has a nice consistency. Gives me the courage to try a face cream/lotion for my dry skin.

Glycerin in a body butter? Interesting. What did that do for you?

I've tried making a whipped shea butter but it turned out pretty hard. I don't have my recipe with me, but I believe it used shea butter, jojoba oil (or avocado) and cornstarch. It's pretty solid. I like how it feels when warmed between my hands and applied. It absorbs quickly and moisturizes well. But it's so darn hard. It's hard to get it out of the container.

I would wonder if glycerin is the key ingredient to a softer whip? Mind if I ask how much you used? I'd like to give it a whirl.

Stacey said:

I've tried making a whipped shea butter but it turned out pretty hard. I don't have my recipe with me, but I believe it used shea butter, jojoba oil (or avocado) and cornstarch. It's pretty solid. I like how it feels when warmed between my hands and applied. It absorbs quickly and moisturizes well. But it's so darn hard. It's hard to get it out of the container.

I would wonder if glycerin is the key ingredient to a softer whip? Mind if I ask how much you used? I'd like to give it a whirl.

How long did you whip your shea butter for? I have whipped mine for as long as ten minutes and if i felt it what off I would walk away and come baack to it the next day, mine come out more lke a souffle that a butter. good luck.

azgirl said:
Stacey said:

How long did you whip your shea butter for? I have whipped mine for as long as ten minutes and if i felt it what off I would walk away and come baack to it the next day, mine come out more lke a souffle that a butter. good luck.

I followed an earlier post's recommendation for whipping it in stages. I think it was Sudsykat's method. I think it was whip for 5 minutes, cool for 5, whip for 5, cool for 5 and so on. If I remember correctly, the reason for the cooling/tempering in between whips was to keep the shea from getting grainy. I can't remember now how it was exactly.

What do you mean you came back the next day? Did you leave it in the mixing bowl then? Didn't get get hard as a rock? Or did you remelt it and whip it up again?

Do you add glycerin to your recipe?

Sorry for taking so long to get back but been super busy :shock: but no it does not get hard and I am one of the few that does not melt my shea butter, prior to the whipping.
and yes I leave it in the bowl but I have a cover for my bowl :D
I have not tried glycyren yet but I i have it on hand in case I want to try it :lol:
So I have been playing and tweaking my recipe, I use cornstarch to help with absorbancy but I mix that with a bit of jojoba oil first to keep the texture smooth.
I am going to play with some butter ez that was recommended by Carebear and see how I like that.

Back