Made a charcoal soap, with pictures.

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sunny

Reaction score
I made a batch of soap with 12 oz oils (for a very small mold) and added 1 tsp charcoal powder and my soap is gray. I was under the impression that a little bit would really make it black. (also didn't want to add too much in case it makes the soap scratchy?)

How much should I use next time?

Pictures below!

That looks awesome! What'd you scent it with? Cause it kinda looks like a tombstone or something for halloween.

tea tree and lavender EOs.

thanks! partial gel sometimes works out! I like how it turned out too but I wanted to make a really black soap for a project.

should I have used more charcoal? will the soap get too scratchy?

Tasha,

Your soap looks great! I love the color and the humped top.

Maybe if you added some black mica or oxide? You could still have the charcoal but one these would help to make it black.

Won't this make the lather gray or black? I used charcoal in an HP batch and the lather was kind of grayish. I don't remember how much I used off the top of my head. I'd have to go look at my notes.

I don't want to be negative, but it looks like this soap is going to be rather scratchy. I can see large particles of charcoal in the pics. The soap that I posted about several weeks ago (texture in charcoal soap subject line) was also scratchy when the bar was applied directly to the skin. What did you use for charcoal?

Ground activated charcoal. I tested it and there is a little grit but it does not "scratch." Keep in mind these bars are tiny, not regular sized, and I did a really close-up shot so it looks like a larger bar of soap.. but they are 2 inches wide. So the "large" particles are actually really small.

Used activated charcoal for Licorice Whip soap and love the look, but the lather IS sort of grey and stains a light-colored washcloth. I can feel a little grit in the black portion, but maybe that grit is why charcoal soap is favored sometimes as a facial soap? Question, not a statement.

...and I think your soap is really neat, too! Love the tombstone comment. Party favors!!

I like to add my charcoal to the oils, and let it sit for a while before soaping. I think it was Deda that gave me this tip. Somehow it lets the oil absorb more of the charcoal, and it gives a denser black soap.

For my black soap I use 1.5% charcoal PPO and yes I have grey lather but this is more of a therapeutic bar of soap for acne (Charcoal Pine Tar).

DSCN2883.jpg

Back