Lining a mold

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
tkhaney1 said:
This is a good tutorial:

http://thenovastudio.blogspot.com/2010/ ... eezer.html

Personally I never did get super smooth sides using freezer paper. Silicone is the only way to go. But mylar is a good alternative to freezer paper too.

Thank you for the tip on the silicone...I went to Bed Bath and Beyond and got 2 bread pans for 9.99 ea..... They work great...no more lining molds for me :D

Soapsugoii said:
Ljsm86 said:
tkhaney1 said:
.....do you have to line it at all? Do you use a bread size silicone pan?

http://bebecollection.com/lf01-loaf-mold

I just got a few of these in the mail today. Quite a few people rave about them. They each make 8 regular sized bars of soap. I actually just poured a CP batch into one about ten minutes ago, so I'll let you know later how it turns out :)

edit: No you don't have to line them.

Thanks for the link to these. I have been looking for silicone molds that come a little close to the dimensions of my molds, and these are almost perfect. Hubby ordered 4 of them for me for early x-mas gift :)

serfmunke said:
Is it necessary to line a wooden mold that has been painted with a high gloss paint? Would that work?
Yes it has to be lined. Ba aware that if any raw soap gets on the gloss paint, it might take off the finish.

This liner is reusable. The poly folder was purchased from the Dollar Tree. This liner measures 10"(length) X 4"(depth) X 2"(width). I measured and marked it with a ruler. You can customize your own mold measurements. Make a cardboard template to use on your freezer paper. Just assemble and drop it into your mold, and no more struggles.

Chemise Folder Liner.jpg

Reusable mold liner.jpg

This liner is reusable. The poly folder was purchased from the Dollar Tree. This liner measures 10"(length) X 4"(depth) X 2"(width). I measured and marked it with a ruler. You can customize your own mold measurements. Make a cardboard template to use on your freezer paper. Just assemble and drop it into your mold, and no more struggles.

This post is 5 years old. You may want to start a new one. Many won't look at really old posts.

Back when I used to line my molds, I used the template method. And because I hated doing it so much, I'd sit while watching TV, and fold bunches of them on the coffee table, then stack them up and have them ready to go. Gee, I really don't miss that. As mentioned above, the only way to get really smooth sides is with silicone, but if you don't want to line and you're not super fussy about the sides, you can always use a milk carton, and just tear it away when the soap is ready. That's what I used to use in the beginning, until I built myself a mold, but because I hated lining so much, I eventually invested in a silicone liner. Their prices have come way down since then. Nurture Soaps has good prices, if you buy the liner and build your own box for it.

Back