Liners?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
IrishLass - I wonder if it is the same stuff. Was it squishy and flexible? If it can be bought at Micheal's I would be really excited. I have never had craters on mine, in the beginning slightly bumpy but it is seasoned. I just rinse excess soap off with water. It stays oily enough that the soap is smooth. I guess at worst it has a mottled texture?

liners

You all really have my curiosity up…Bubbles!..what is plain, white Corflute (Correx)…and where did u find it?....and Irish those extra funky foam from Michael's Crafts for back-up liners… Does that stuff come in sheets??..If it’s not too much trouble maybe u could put a couple of photos of those foamy type liners you are using.
I bought a 24”x 36” x ¼” sheet of white corrugated poly foam from Home Depot that I used for lines in a couple of my log molds but after a couple of times they lost their finish and I had to put a thin film of mineral oil on them to make them work….too much hassle !!….so I went back to my Mylar liners.
Here are a couple of shots of the poly foam that I used…
poly3.jpg

poly4.jpg

Jerry

Soapy Gurl said:
IrishLass - I wonder if it is the same stuff. Was it squishy and flexible? If it can be bought at Micheal's I would be really excited. I have never had craters on mine, in the beginning slightly bumpy but it is seasoned. I just rinse excess soap off with water. It stays oily enough that the soap is smooth. I guess at worst it has a mottled texture?

It's this stuff right here (same color, same company, same thickness - 2mm):

http://www.createforless.com/Darice+Foa ... medium=cse

Yep, it's squishy (or spongy) and flexible. I forget now which aisle they are located down in Michael's, but the last time I was there a few weeks ago I saw that they still had them in 12 x 18 sheets of different colors.

Mine were seasoned nicely, too, but my results with them were too inconsistent/unpredictable for my liking (I guess I'm just too persnickety :wink:).

IrishLass :)

Yeah!!!!! Thank you IrishLass! I think that is exactly what I have. I have had problems with them coming apart, but figured out gorilla glue works like a charm. Right now I just potato peel off the sides and bottom, but I want to get a planer to do it to get the glassy sides. I am going to head to JoAnn's and also look at the mylar stuff. I just like this because the un-molding is so easy and I can rinse and re-use. I am sooooo lazy!

My Friend who i soap with called me yesterday and had a surprise liner she had made for her Wood molds. She had made a batch of soap and lifted it out of the mold in this liner and came out just like silicone.. She then washed the liner and put back in the mold. She bought some kind of paper at KMart and cut it ironed it to shape and taped it with double sided tape from Lowes. She is now making me some for a few of my molds. When I get it I will take photos. We are excited.

Re: liners

Jerry S said:
You all really have my curiosity up…Bubbles!..what is plain, white Corflute (Correx)…and where did u find it?....and Irish those extra funky foam from Michael's Crafts for back-up liners… Does that stuff come in sheets??..If it’s not too much trouble maybe u could put a couple of photos of those foamy type liners you are using.
I bought a 24”x 36” x ¼” sheet of white corrugated poly foam from Home Depot that I used for lines in a couple of my log molds but after a couple of times they lost their finish and I had to put a thin film of mineral oil on them to make them work….too much hassle !!….so I went back to my Mylar liners.
Here are a couple of shots of the poly foam that I used…
poly3.jpg

poly4.jpg

That one looks like corflute (correx, coroplast) Jerry. :wink:

liners...

One more thing Bubbles..before you leave this thread....You mentioned using waterproof tape..I just wondered what kind you use and the name of it...
thanks..jerry :)

Jerry, I'm in Australia so brands will probably be different to US. It's called Norton All Weather Tape 48mm x 25 metres.

It can be used for repairing tarpaulins, tents, cracked headlights on cars, holding glass together, and so on. You could probably also use other strong tapes.

I'm so excited. I found the high heat mylar at Hobby Lobby a couple of days ago for $3.39 a sheet. it's more than enough to line a 15" mold. Can't wait to give it a go.

I found the foamy sheets, only 8x10 at JoAnn's and I spaced the Mylar. What does it look like? I automatically think shiny silver like Mylar balloons.

liners...

Thanks for the reply Bubbles...I will have to scope that out on my end....I might be out of the loop on this kind if thing but there may be something over here that is similiar but I wouldn't know ehat it is. I use magic tape made by "Scotch" brand for this type thing or Duct tape but its so "industrial".....lol.
thanks,
Jerry

liners

I use contact paper, 2 pieces, no taping, SO easy, make one going the short way, the other piece the long way, place the long skinny one on top of the other piece, i posted a pic somwhere, serious it takes 20 seconds to cut, and you can wash and reuse.

liners...

Hi Kim.....if you can find the pic...I'd like to see it...I've used freezer paper in the past but my creases always are off and they screw up the looks of my bars...
jerry :)

jerry im not too computer savy, it was posted in april, i dont know how to paste it here. the title was" shelf liner in mold" or something like that.
Do you get what I mean though? taking one piece the long way then the other one going the other way and placing them on top of each other? I get very little leakage and reuse, its the only way I would do it.

These all look so perfectly lined. I use freezer paper myself but I can't seem to use it twice because it doesn't stay nice and neatly creased. Gets so oily too.

honor435 said:
jerry im not too computer savy, it was posted in april, i dont know how to paste it here. the title was" shelf liner in mold" or something like that.
Do you get what I mean though? taking one piece the long way then the other one going the other way and placing them on top of each other? I get very little leakage and reuse, its the only way I would do it.

Here is a link to thread.
http://soapmakingforum.com/forum/viewto ... liner+mold

Mylar for lining

Hey My2scents,

I just want to thank you for the link on the Mylar tutorial, it was extremely helpful.

I love this forum!

Have a wonderful day!

Tai :D

Back