ITMHP - oils and clays / properties and color

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nedeia

Reaction score
Dear All,

I read somewhere that oils do loose some o their properties when we are using in the mould hot process (traditional cold process method, pour in moulds and leave them for 2 hours in the oven , heated at 80 C / 200 F, and then another 12 hours in the oven after turning off the heat). Is this indeed true? I love using jojoba oil at trace, because of its qualities, and I'd hate to ruin it so, if indeed ITMHP ruins some of the oils' properties, please confirm to me :)

Also I love using clay in my soaps, so I am wondering: will using clays (red, pink, yellow, green, white) be inappropriate because this soap making method will also change the clays' colors? And if yes, to which colours? Have you ever tried it, with what results?

Thanks!

Nedeia

Adding joboba at trace is not going to make one bit of difference because at that point the lye is still VERY active and it will saponify whatever it comes into contact with. So doing cp, or ITMHP is basically going to give you the same results. The only way you are going to ensure the jojoba is not saponified at all is to do hp (crockpot or oven), and add it after the cook.
Clays basically retain their colors with ITMHP. ITMHP is not much different than doing cp IMHO....it's just forcing the soap into full gell faster than it would acheive on it's own in regular cp. It still requires a good 4-6 week cure time.

xraygrl said:
Adding joboba at trace is not going to make one bit of difference because at that point the lye is still VERY active and it will saponify whatever it comes into contact with. So doing cp, or ITMHP is basically going to give you the same results. The only way you are going to ensure the jojoba is not saponified at all is to do hp (crockpot or oven), and add it after the cook.
Clays basically retain their colors with ITMHP. ITMHP is not much different than doing cp IMHO....it's just forcing the soap into full gell faster than it would acheive on it's own in regular cp. It still requires a good 4-6 week cure time.

dear xraygirl,

it's good to know then that the colors will still be the same! as for adding the jojoba after the cook, so far my recipes I used were for a quite firm soap bar which, after cooking, were quite hard. Shall I use an immersion blender to break apart the soap and add the jojoba at this stage? how will the soap harden after this step? will it float like whipped soap?

about the 4-6 weeks cure time... I actually read that the saponification is complete after ITMHP and the soap bar is ready to use starting day 2 or 3 - more curing is needed just to evaporate the water and get a harder bar. no more lye in the soap. I hope this is true :)

thanks again for the clarification,
Nedeia

Latest posts

Back