If You Like Real Dark Soaps

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RDak

Reaction score
I've noticed that alot of people like the black colored soaps.

If you don't mind a very, very dark brown/red type of soap here's what I make alot of the time.

In batches of 48 ounces of oil, I use (1) about 10 percent pine tar and (2) add one heaping tablespoon of pygeum bark powder. (The powder is cheap and adds to the very dark color and gives a dark red tint.)

Try those two ingredients, you might like it.

Pygeum bark powder is cheap: (Make sure you get the powder.)

http://www.mountainroseherbs.com/bulkherb/p.php#h_pyg_p

I don't know how to post pictures but imagine a super dark brown/red soap. Almost black like in color.

ETA: I do HP only (double boiler method) and add the pygeum to the hard oils while they are being melted. That's all there is to it. Everything else stays the same and any other types of oils are ok IMHO.

ya, I avoid dark soaps because I don't like the sludge they leave on the soap dish and don't like colored lather (and the dark on the washcloth is a turn off even though it does wash out). so I don't even soap with vanilla scents any longer except as a special request. I do make a pine tar soap, though - because for the therapeutic effect I'm willing to deal with it.

But it seems there are people who think the opposite! Cool!

Does the soap made with pygeum bark powder stain the washcloth?

i'd love to see yur soap. they sound cool! if you upload a pic onto photobucket you can post a link if you want to. :)

I simply do not know how to post pictures.

But here is a link to a dark brown soap that isn't as dark or have the dark red tint mine have.

Plus, the recipe I gave, for me, makes a much more homogenous coloring. No mottling, etc.

Look at this linked picture and imagine a soap a couple of shades darker with a dark red tint.

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=htt ... CBMQ9QEwAw

I don't use wash cloths but just put some on a cloth and it does stain a little. It washed out however.

I would imagine if you use wash cloths you might want to use a dedicated one until you made sure the stain washed out.

It does leave dark coloring on the soapdish though. So if you don't like that, don't make this soap. (It's not a permanent stain on the soapdish though. Well, maybe a wooden one? I don't have wooden soapdishes.)

how to post pictures
1. take picture
2. upload to computer
3. get http://photobucket.com/ account
4. in photobucket select the my albums tab
5. look for and select upload image button
6. select which images from your computer and upload
7. click return to album
8. mouse over image for drop menu
9. select "IMG code" and press Ctrl c to copy code
10. while making your post here press Ctrl v to paste code in your post
11. preview then submit your post
:D
whew, never relized it was so much till i did this. lol

Mixing coffee grounds with your oils makes for a dark soap as well, even if you filter them out. Used coffee grounds work fine.

Same with charcoal (but I would use used) :D

Back