"If I knew then what I know now..."

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RockCreek

Reaction score
For a little background, I'm a new soaper who will be creating his first batch this weekend. I'm really excited to get started, particularly since I've been reading the forum and getting educated on the intricacies of soapmaking as much as possible over the past few months from a variety of sources.

I'm starting to get my head around all of the possibilities within the CP soapmaking realm, and look forward to the challenge of undertaking progressively difficult recipes, designs, techniques, and processes.

Having said that, I am a very methodical and goal-oriented person when it comes to crafts/hobbies. In other words, like many of you I value the feeling of momentum and achievement in activities I pursue. In committing myself to soapmaking, I promised myself I would undertake it with rigor and start slowly.

In other words, I hope to master the basics before moving on to more advanced techniques and recipes with an eye toward starting a business one day, perhaps years from now if that's what it takes. In short, I want to lay the groundwork for achieving that goal in the most efficient and least-frustrating way possible. Therefore, I have a two-fold question:

1. I'm curious what you experienced soapers out there would choose to have done differently when you first got started, if anything? And, what would you advise for a new soaper in light of that?

2. Can any of you sketch out a list of soaping techniques that is progressively difficult to master? For instance, I'm looking for advice along the lines of "First, work with these oils with distilled water before moving on to these other oils with goat's milk." Or: "Focus your time on how fragrances impact the trace time before experimenting with color and swirling techniques." If there are materials available on the web or elsewhere that have been indispensable to you (and that offer soapmaking instruction in a methodical way), I'd love to hear about those too.

Maybe I'm coming at this differently than most, but I'm eager to hear the wisdom that many of you have. Thanks ahead of time!

For myself not to get overzealous in all the different specialty oils I purchased. I would just begin with a simple basic recipe and then work from there to develop something that was what I was looking for. Also, not to become an FO addict. I purchased way too many FO's and EO's that I now have many that still have not been used or that I should have purchased just 1 or 2 oz of to test them. Otherwise just make soap enjoy the process and all the avenues you can explore while doing it. I find it still very therapeutic after 3 years. Good luck to you!! I'm sure you'll get lots of other advice too there are a lot of very helpful informative folks on here.

"1. I'm curious what you experienced soapers out there would choose to have done differently when you first got started, if anything? And, what would you advise for a new soaper in light of that?"

I would have spent a least 2 hours / day for a full month in studying SMF posts and related links before ordering any ingredients and equipment.
Hope this helps :)

Start out with a simple recipe by reading up on properties of oils and using what you have readily available. Keep the number of oils to a minimum so that you get to know how those oils will work for you (ie speed of trace, how long in the mold, etc). If you want to make changes, change 1 oil at a time or add a butter. Once you know what you like then move on to an additive or water substitute (ie. a FO/EO or GM) and learn what it does for your recipe and whether you like it or not. It sounds pretty boring but it'll give you the technique skills needed to diagnose problems (which WILL happen) before you move on to the next more difficult technique. I went a little crazy at first and wanted to try everything but after making a couple of failed batches I slowed down, perfected my basic recipe, and now am experimenting with one thing at a time. I'm also keeping my batches smaller (1-2 lbs) so I don't waste a lot of supplies. Also, if you are going to purchase fragrance oils buy the smaller sizes because you won't know for sure how it's going to react in your soap until you've tried it yourself and it'll save you from spending money on one that doesn't work for you. Good luck and enjoy the learning. It's a challenging but very rewarding addiction :D

RockCreek, my approach to soapmaking was similar to yours. I spent about 3 months reading books and forum posts and I watched tons of videos on youtube before I made my first batch. The Soap Queen videos were particularly helpful to me in the beginning, and the forums are always a great source of information no matter where you are in your soaping journey...always something new to learn :)
I started out with a simple recipe of coconut, palm, olive and castor oils in a couple of 2lb batches. Once those cured and I could use them, I started working toward creating my "ideal" soap by playing around with SoapCalc...adding different oils and butters in different percentages and checking the numbers to see what each one would bring to the soap. When a recipe looked good to me I'd print it out and try it; some worked, some didn't, but I learned something from each one! It took me over 2 years and lots of tweaking of my favorite recipes and trying different additives (clays, sugar, silk, dairy, etc.) but I finally created my "signature" recipe that I love!
I did scent most of my batches and learned how different FOs can change the color of your soap...from tan to deep brown and even pale purple! I also learned that some scents can smell wonderful OOB and then morph in soap and vice versa. I've had the ricing and seizing experiences and was grateful for my small batches! Good advice on here also for ordering small 1 or 2 oz sizes of FOs...you can always order the larger size later if you like it. This has worked very well for me :)
And finally, I have to mention that my priorities may not be your own. My main goal was to create a soap that I LOVED...one I would be addicted to and never want to be without. How the soap looked wasn't even on my list until I got the recipe right. This was simply my priority and it's no better or worse than anyone else's. BUT...once I got my recipe down, I've been having a lot of fun playing around with colors/swirling/pencil lines, etc., to try to create a look for each batch of soap that reflects the scent and how I want others to perceive it.
I don't sell as yet, but I've been doing my research and moving in that direction for the past year or so. Mine will be a very small business as I have zero intentions of leaving a full-time job that I love, but I'm lucky enough that I only work 3 days a week so I have lots of time to soap!
Sorry for being so long-winded, but I hope this is (even a little bit) helpful to you :)

Thanks for the responses so far. This is the kind of stuff I was hoping to hear. Sounds like I'm on the right track possibly (for once). :shock:

When I was a newbie, I didn't know that you couldn't use however much fragrance you wanted in a batch. I got a FO - Ginger Souffle IIRC - and it smelled so amazing that I poured all 4 oz into my 2-pound batch. Posted my happy pics on a different message board and got rightfully reamed. So I learned at that point to always use the manufacturer's suggested amount or less of a fragrance. Who knew? Not me :)

I took my time and did months of research before I started making soap, it took about 2 years of playing before I found my "perfect" base recipe. have fun!!

Latest posts

Back