I want to build a soap stamper

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

navigator9

Reaction score
After I checked out the soap stamper/bath bomb press that was pictured in a post by Escape Goats, I almost had a heart attack at the price. So I went surfing for a cheaper one. It doesn't exist. I even looked at what's called a "hand press grommet machine" that I thought could be adapted, but no such luck. So I decided I would try to build one. I don't know where I got the idea that I can do just about anything, but somewhere in the back of my mind, I always hear this persistent voice that says....."So, how hard could that be?" lol Things don't always work out as planned, but surprisingly, sometimes they do!

Anyway, I found this picture, a very simple version of what I need. Which is perfect, the simpler, the better.
simple.jpeg
Looks pretty easy, no? So I'm just wondering if any of you out there have built one for yourself, and might have any hints/advice for me? I wouldn't bother with this, but last holiday season, after stamping 500 soaps with a mallet, my carpal tunnel was really just awful. Using this machine, stamping would involve just bringing the handle down to apply pressure, and then lifting it up, so I think that would save a lot of wear and tear on my wrist.

I'm planning on using wood, and I have an idea of how I'm going to put it together, but if any of you have any thoughts, I'd love to hear them! What do you think?

simple.jpeg

Well your lever - the part you push down on will need to be shaped like a T and the T part will need to be sandwiched between uprights. At the top of the uprights you will need a compression spring on a dowel... that is all I have off the top of my head.

I had the same idea of "sandwiching" the lever between two uprights, but there's no spring in my plans, nothing as fancy as that. The lever would be sandwiched, with washers to allow it to move without friction wood to wood, and then would just come down on top of the soap, with pressure, then lift again. Very basic. What would the compression spring do, in your idea? I can't get to Home Depot until tomorrow, so I still have time to think....and revise.

It would prevent the stamp from coming all the way down on the table before you wanted it to. In other words without it your stamp part will always be down, you won't be able to carefully position your bar where you want it without holding the lever up with one hand. It would also allow you to compress the stamp with a more even pressure.

Well, that would certainly be helpful. Exactly where would this spring on a dowel go? I've tried to imagine how it fits in at the top of the uprights....but I can't "see" it.

I thought about some machines like that, but if the pressure comes from the side, and not directly from the top, it will "squish" the soap, and be uneven. I thought about an orange juice squeezer, a printing press, grommet and rivet presses,....each one wouldn't work, for different reasons. After all of the searching I did, I'm surprised that no one out there makes an affordable stamp press for soap. I'm sure I can't be the only one who'd be thrilled to have a machine like that! Of course, here's the lovely one I'd love to have, but can't afford. http://soapequipment.com/stamper/

How about making the stamp part (the upside down T that presses on the soap directly) hinged at the top end (at the handle) so you can flip it to clean it when the handle is up, and adjust it before you put pressure down on the soap, if need be.

Check out can crushers. They might have the right action, in a slightly different set up. http://www.bedbathandbeyond.ca/stor...e=&network=g&gclid=CJOS4bGczb8CFYpffgodEVQAnQ

Ooooo....can crusher, that's one I didn't check out! I do like the way that lever works, not sure I could do that in wood, though. You know, I did think of making the T part hinged, but not for the reason you mentioned. I don't think I will be affixing the stamp to the T, for this reason....I have several different stamps I'd like to use, and they're all different thicknesses, so I'm going to have to wait til that part of the design is almost done, to see how that little part of it is going to work. This thing isn't going to be pretty, but as long as it works, I'll be happy.

Why not just modify a crusher?

Where will the stamp go, if not on that inverted T? (Just can't visualise what you have in mind)

Maybe hinge with a pin thru the upright, and have several points on the T where the dowel can go thru, to match your different stamps. So you can raise and lower the position of the stamp.

Well, that would certainly be helpful. Exactly where would this spring on a dowel go? I've tried to imagine how it fits in at the top of the uprights....but I can't "see" it.

Well I was thinking like this: I did this in paint quick so not so good but there would have to be something under it as well. Not easy to think in the abstract...

Oh now that video gives a lot of ideas!!

stamper.jpg

Ahh....now I "see", thank you so much, Dorymae for taking the time to do that. Much appreciated!

OMG.........that's a soap stamper! Wouldn't that be perfect? I'm going to have to study this video. Now as to how I was going to affix the stamp to the machine, I wasn't going to. I thought it would be to difficult to figure out for all the different stamps I have. I was just going to position the stamp on top of the soap, and bring the "press" down on top of it. That would work with this can crusher version, too. Wow, that really is a thing of beauty. Thank you so much for that. I never would have thought to look at a can crusher!

You could also stamp the "bottom" of the soap by placing the stamp face up on the base, and then set the soap on top of it, and lower the press.

I was also wondering about magnets on the back of the stamps and the stampplate of the machine to hold the stamps in place if you wanted to have the stamp being on the moving part.

If your stamps are all different it might be difficult to figure something out unless they are all the same dimensions and just different heights (in which case you could either put "shims" on the base or hmmm.....not sure re having the stamps on the top. Some way to lift the stamps to varied heights.

They're pricey but you could get a snap press and use epoxy or gorilla glue to attach a piece of melamine to the bottom die, and the stamp to the top die. You could set the soap on and pull the lever to squish the stamp. Bonus that they'd be removable.

ImageUploadedBySoap Making1405655644.190409.jpg

That is a great idea pmqmama. I will be up till daylight perusing sites to find one of those now hahaha. I'm so glad this question was asked because I have been thinking about making a stamp press as well.

Home brew beer bottle capper would work a treat. It is height adjustable, so you just attach your soap stamp, then put soap on base and pull down on the lever.
If it dont go low enough then just place a block of wood in position to make a taller base.
I am repurposing hubbys capper :)

They're pricey but you could get a snap press and use epoxy or gorilla glue to attach a piece of melamine to the bottom die, and the stamp to the top die. You could set the soap on and pull the lever to squish the stamp. Bonus that they'd be removable.

View attachment 8735

I checked some out on Ebay, and found some a lot cheaper, but....the sellers were not able to tell me the size of the opening, so I can't be sure that my soap and the stamp would fit. Rats.

You could also stamp the "bottom" of the soap by placing the stamp face up on the base, and then set the soap on top of it, and lower the press.

I was also wondering about magnets on the back of the stamps and the stampplate of the machine to hold the stamps in place if you wanted to have the stamp being on the moving part.

If your stamps are all different it might be difficult to figure something out unless they are all the same dimensions and just different heights (in which case you could either put "shims" on the base or hmmm.....not sure re having the stamps on the top. Some way to lift the stamps to varied heights.

Brilliant!

Back