I got a new puppy!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Obsidian

Reaction score
Some of you may remember me posting about losing my beloved dog last year, what you don't know is we lost his sister 3 months later to the same thing.
It was devastating for us and our remain dog was very confused and lonely. My husband said absolutely no more dogs. It hurt him so much, he shut down his heart.

About two months ago I started a "break down hubby" campaign in the hopes he would eventually give in to the idea of a puppy. I even recruited my daughter to help.
I've been showing him pictures and videos of puppies along with OMG, see how cute! I didn't really expect it to work but when I showed him a ad on craigslist, he said go get one if you want, so I did lol.

Turns out it was a very bad backyard breeder. Pup is skinny, no vaccinations, was out in the cold and snow so long his feet almost had frostbite.

He doesn't know people are good so he is aloof to everyone but me. Last night he decided DH is pretty good too, it will take time to get him past his indifference to people.

He is a american bulldog and pitbull cross. I wasn't really wanting another big dog but it was meant to be and he looks to me like I'm his savior.

He has already gained 1/2 lb and its only been 2 days. He goes in for his first vet visit in a couple days for a wellness check and vaccinations. No name as of yet but I'm really considering Cash, have to run it by DH, see if he likes it too.

ac7OefX.jpg

81YlkSh.jpg

Sadie loves him too
CJ1VF66.jpg

So skinny
4iQl8Jh.jpg

Last edited:
Glad you got him out of there and he looks lovely - just wish everyone (this isnt a dig at you) would go to shelters to adopt and not keep these breeders going.

There are thousands and thousands of dogs killed everyday across the US and puppy farms and backyard breeders continue to make money off their misery.

Sorry to be negative but its something I campaign for IRL all the time - IMO craigslist and other internet sales of dogs should be illegal with no exceptions. We need to clear the shelters and find good, loving, healthy and happy homes for all those poor animals stuck in shelters with no hope whatsoever.

Aww, he's adorable! I'm glad he found a good home with your family, and I'm sure he will learn to trust again.

Our family is currently looking for a puppy- we've been working through multiple shelters and rescues. It has been such a difficult experience...submitting multiple applications with no response, house visits, background checks....I understand why, but it's been a disheartening experience. We'll still continue in this process though, because we do believe in adopting a rescue.

EDIT: Just wanted to add that we haven't been denied a puppy, but by the time the application process is finished, the dog we were interested in has already been adopted.

Aww, he's adorable! I'm glad he found a good home with your family, and I'm sure he will learn to trust again.

Our family is currently looking for a puppy- we've been working through multiple shelters and rescues. It has been such a difficult experience...submitting multiple applications with no response, house visits, background checks....I understand why, but it's been a disheartening experience. We'll still continue in this process though, because we do believe in adopting a rescue.

EDIT: Just wanted to add that we haven't been denied a puppy, but by the time the application process is finished, the dog we were interested in has already been adopted.

What kind of dog and age are you looking for? Have you registered with the rescues as well as the shelters?

What kind of dog and age are you looking for? Have you registered with the rescues as well as the shelters?

We are looking for a female puppy - a mixed breed, preferably a larger dog. We have visited our local rescues & shelters. You can only submit an application per dog - they typically don't keep your info on file or help you locate a dog that might suit your needs. I believe in the cause but It's kind of a frustrating process.

Glad you got him out of there and he looks lovely - just wish everyone (this isnt a dig at you) would go to shelters to adopt and not keep these breeders going.

I understand and agree with you. I was actually planning on adopting from a shelter if possible.

Getting a pup right now as cold and snowy as it is wasn't in the plans and I hate supporting backyard breeders, I really do but at the same time, is it fair to let a animal suffer in order to teach breeders a lesson?

I've also had issues with adopting from shelters. They are often rude, snotty and act like you are the bad guy

I get what you mean about shelters, they can often be difficult with people for no good reason, have heard that so many times.

For anyone thinking of getting a dog - try reaching out to smaller local rescues who often can network overlooked dogs better and who are only interested in getting the dog a good home, not the silly political games played by some shelters. So many of the rescue groups publish details of the dogs who are getting close to time up and work to save them and they often have lots of dogs already in foster homes ready to move on.

We are looking for a female puppy - a mixed breed, preferably a larger dog. We have visited our local rescues & shelters. You can only submit an application per dog - they typically don't keep your info on file or help you locate a dog that might suit your needs. I believe in the cause but It's kind of a frustrating process.

ITA. Rescues are often 100% volunteers, so that means if the volunteer who handles the applications is very busy with their personal life, it can fall through the cracks.

Perhaps you can email the organization and describe your needs, and ask them to recommend dogs that might work for you? I would also suggest trying multiple organizations in your area. Perhaps ask your vet and the local Humane Society which rescues they recommend as well.

Obsidian, congrats on your new buddy! He is ADORABLE! You may want to add some pumpkin to his diet - 100% pumpkin, not pumpkin pie filling. Since he is used to not having enough to eat, suddenly getting plenty to eat might cause some digestive upset and the pumpkin can prevent or cure that.

Oh, he definitely has some digestive upset but it's clearing up now. I really don't want to introduce anything else new atm but will pick up some pumpkin for the future.

I used to feed it to the doxies, helped prevent impacted anal glands and they thought it was a treat.

We have a name! He is tatanka which is Native American for buffalo. We will be calling him tanka for short.

He also got to experience sunshine for the first time outside. We still have a ton of snow but the pathway is bare and it got warm enough I was able to sit on the ground to play with him.

Attachments

• IMG_20180130_131408.jpg
    IMG_20180130_131408.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 6
He also got to experience sunshine for the first time outside. We still have a ton of snow but the pathway is bare and it got warm enough I was able to sit on the ground to play with him.

Awww, puppy tummies are the best! Enjoy the play time, I miss having a puppy in the house.

Awwwwwww! He is adorable.

A friend of mine breeds white labs. We went to visit her newest batch (10!!) on Sunday. I made a sweet little buddy, but couldn't convince Chris that we need a dog. Maybe once the kids and cats are gone...

Beautiful puppy, it's my kind of puppy. He is lucky he got you as owner, Congrats to you all for a good decision :)

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back