HP sugar scrub bars?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AshleyR

Reaction score
I really like the idea of the solid sugar scrub "cubes" people are making lately. Most (maybe all?) of the ones I've seen have been made with M&P soap.

I'd rather make these the CP or HP way.... is it possible? I don't really think it is possible to do it CP because the high amount of sugar would probably react pretty fiercely with the lye. What if I made HP soap and added the sugar after the cook? It should be safe then, right?

I'm going to give it a try but just thought I'd ask if anyone else has tried it yet!

I haven't yet but was wondering the same thing.
I spent the better part of the weekend making the melt and pour ones being as I had some that needed to be used up and they're nice but I'd rather make them with the HP method. I'd think that if you let your soap cool enough then add the sugar they'd be ok.

I'll be watching to see your results:)

I'm thinking about this more....
when I melted the mp soap and added the oil all was well, when I added the sugar it turned instantly think and I was barely able to get it into the mold.
HP is so thick anyways, not watery like melt and pour when it's melted, I'd think that the oil would need to be increased to make it manageable.

You could try the 2 ounces of HP and the 2 ounces of oil the recipe suggests and if it's not fluid enough then maybe add more oil and quickly add in the sugar, I still bet that you'll have to work extremely quick.

well, since you can do hp salt bars with the salt added after the cook, I see no reason why you couldn't do the same with sugar and add it after the cook as well.

Okay, you guys drove me to this, the curiosity is killing me. I don't have any M&P supplies and I don't do HP, so I'm going to try an improvised batch of these using the bits left over from beveling and planing some CP soaps and see what I come up with.

I'll post pics once they're done, whether it works out or not.

would the sugar added at the end of a cook attract ants?

i made HP salt bars and used a large amount of salt and the salt shows on the outside of my bars until i have used them for a while, then they get smooth. i would worry that if all that salt that shows were sugar instead, that ants would think i was God.lol

I don't think that my first attempt with CP worked, I'll know for sure after it's had time to sit in the mold. I took my little bits from planing and beveling and melted them in a makeshift double boiler with just a bit of sweet almond oil. Once that soapgoo was hot, I added in trhe balance of my oil along with the color and FO and SBd it into a soap-slurry. That got stirred into the sugar until it was evenly distributed, then pressed firmly into a mold.

I dunno, it might turn out fine, but it had more of a bath bomb consistency than the pourable consistency in the tut, so it might turn into a crumbly mess when I try to cut it into cubes, we shall see. In any event, my house smells like Daystar's Paradise, which is never a bad thing. :D

LOL, That's what I planned on doing tomorrow, trying them by rebatching.
I'm not going to use sweet almond oil though because of it's short shelf life, I think I'm gonna go with jojoba or olive oil and add a touch of vitamin e to be on the safe side.

When I made them this weekend with melt and pour they are for sure not pourable, more of what I'd call scoopable.
They set up almost instantly....well as set up as they're supposed to be, they do not get rock hard they are supposed to be able to be squished between your fingers without too much pressure.

I'll post when I finish these and if they don't work oh well, the ones in the original recipe turn out just great and I used WSP's all natural m/p base so at least the ingredient label wont scare off anyone, well hopefully not :D

Latest posts

Back