hp on the stove

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FreeRabbit

Reaction score
I tried to find instructions about hp on the stove (when to put on the heat and when to remove) but all I could find were pretty vauge instructions- more about the stages that the soap should pass and not clear enough about when to turn the heat ON and when OFF (I'm using gas based stove).
anyone knows a good list of instructions?
thanks

ok guess I'm not best known for my patience I just went ahead and cooked my first hp soap :) good for me!
it went really well and now it is cooling in my new silicone mold (that came complete with a silicone lid!!!)
except one stupid mistake and that was to spill jojoba oil on my face (guess now I'm gonna find out if it's really good for the skin hehe)- I was in a hurry to get my supperfatting oils together because I thought I still have more bubbly phases- turnes out one bubble phase was more then enough for my soap and it mashed right after... (maybe because I spent longer time tracing without heating?)

Congrats let us know how it comes out. I use crockpot so not sure how do stovetop. I do know double boiler is best way do stovetop.

it came out just right :)
I didn't do the double thing- I used this tutorial http://allcrafts.tripod.com/

everything was according to the tutorial with two main diffrences:
the first trace stayed put and didn't seperate quickly like she said it would (I stirred without heating, also I made sure I reach THICK trace)
she said she bubble phase can accure many times and you should heat and stop heating until it turnes into the mash potato thing- mine bubbled only once, and when I reheated turned right into the mash, so that was a surprise for me.

gonna cut it in a few mins, it looks fantastic

Glad I didn't find that tutorial before I started making HP soap, or I would have given up.

I use a pot with double walls, mix the ingredients warm, then I start heating and mixing and never look back. No splashes, no separation, no bubbles ... Just soap :)

Starum said:
Glad I didn't find that tutorial before I started making HP soap, or I would have given up.

I use a pot with double walls, mix the ingredients warm, then I start heating and mixing and never look back. No splashes, no separation, no bubbles ... Just soap :)

do you do all veggie soap or use animal fat? because from what I could tell it is reacts diffrently. I never use animal fat so I was pretty happy to find the description of veggie soap, also I don't have double walled pot, only regular one...

Veggie soap aswell.

A stainless steel double walled boiler gives you great temperature control, even unsupervised.

Not only for soap, but for sauces, custard, oatmeal, etc. You can achieve same results with a normal pot, and a lot of extra care. Or you could improvise putting the pot in a pan with water.

FreeRabbit said:
Starum said:

do you do all veggie soap or use animal fat? because from what I could tell it is reacts diffrently. I never use animal fat so I was pretty happy to find the description of veggie soap, also I don't have double walled pot, only regular one...

I've never heard of an overall difference between HPing animal vs veggie fats - tho individual fats could vary, I guess.

But not using a double boiler is risky - just be very careful with any soap not to burn it. It freaking STINKS.

I've done it on the gas stove too. It's not bad, but goes very quick even all the way on low.

Latest posts

Back