HP Lard Soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I made my first hp soap, also with lard. I used this tutorial:
http://www.zensoaps.com/hpsoap.htm

I don't have a crockpot to dedicate to HP (yet), so I used the double boiler method. I found her pictures VERY helpful. However, she mentions not using lard, and I found this does take much longer than she described - several hours. But she may discount water, and I don't. I will say, don't add your fragrance until right before pour. You will get SICK of that smell if that soap has to cook for a few hours!

Funny that you mention this, I have a batch in the crock pot as we speak, just about ready to come out actually. Biggest thing is beware of the size of the batch vs the container you are using to process it in, it does swell a bit!

So, Mrs Efficacious is at work this evening and all options are open to me.

This made me laugh.

I always wait for Mr. Molly to be away at work before I make soap but I suspect our reasons are different! Mr. Molly is always overly concerned that I've gotten soap or lye in his food if he sees me making soap and swears he can taste the soap or feel the burn .. if he doesn't see me make the soap he doesn't notice anything.

I think he prefers when I work with plaster and cement because I do that outside.

I did use lard and it took forever to trace. Not sure if that's because it's lard or using a crockpot. Maybe I should have done one or the other.

Still, it's nice and thick and heating up. Didn't volcano (yet!) so just keeping an eye on it now and then

Funny that you mention this, I have a batch in the crock pot as we speak, just about ready to come out actually. Biggest thing is beware of the size of the batch vs the container you are using to process it in, it does swell a bit!

Mine didn't swell, and I did several batches. I have no idea why! Maybe b/c of the lard?

Mine didn't swell, and I did several batches. I have no idea why! Maybe b/c of the lard?

It just occurred to me I said mine was about to come out then mentioned container size. I meant mine was about finished and ready to be molded, It didn't swell too much but did rise up a little on me.

Well, a little update.

It went lovely and gelly (despite what Beyonce thinks, I was fully prepared!) but it didn't try to get out of the crockpot or any such thing. Was concerned until it started to show gel around it all. This was maybe around 9pm last night.

So then I put in my EOs - I had made it at 10% SF on paper, then taken out 5% of the oils before adding the lye so that I could mix the EOs in to that and add it after the cook - leaving me with a healthy 5% buffer on my measuring. Captain Safety! The biggest issue was, with my 1120g batch I would need 33 to 34g of scent. Having not thought it through, I grabbed my 10ml bottle of Rosemary and my 10ml bottle of Thyme - not quite the amount of scent I was shooting for, but at least it was HP rather than CP!

I put half in one mold, and then threw in some oats in to the rest of the soap, miixed it around and molded it up, too. Molding HP soap is VERY different from CP soap!

Clean up was very fun - so many suds and my hands felt great. Much easier than with CP as I can't leave all my gear to saponify like a lot of people do. After last night, I'm thinking it's worth it.

Then this morning I wake up and realised that I made HP and not CP soap! 'Fortunately' I only had 7 hourse sleep, so I unmolded and cut as I ate breakfast before running out of the door to go to work - will certainly have to plan better when making soap and thinking about what type of soap it is and when I'll need to cut it.

All in all, happy with how it went. Looking forward to trying the soap in a couple of weeks to see how it feels.

Will post pictures soon

This made me laugh.

I always wait for Mr. Molly to be away at work before I make soap but I suspect our reasons are different! Mr. Molly is always overly concerned that I've gotten soap or lye in his food if he sees me making soap and swears he can taste the soap or feel the burn .. if he doesn't see me make the soap he doesn't notice anything.

I think he prefers when I work with plaster and cement because I do that outside.

This really made me laugh cause mr elmtree acts the same way lol. I always make fun of him and tell him I used the stick blender he loves for his green chili stew in my soap. Haha so there

This really made me laugh cause mr elmtree acts the same way lol. I always make fun of him and tell him I used the stick blender he loves for his green chili stew in my soap. Haha so there

LOL ... I just play the song, Commit a Crime

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WdZPCjwu0kw[/ame] ..

I'm gonna leave you woman, before I commit a crime.
I'm gonna leave you woman, before I commit a crime.
You tried so hard to kill me, woman it just was not my time.
You put poison in my coffee, instead of milk or cream.
You put poison in my coffee, instead of milk or cream.
You bout the evilest woman, that I ever seen.
You mixed my drinks, with a can of Red Devil lye.
You mixed my drinks, with a can of Red Devil lye.
Then you sit down, watch me, hopin that I might die

"You mixed my drinks, with a can of Red Devil lye."

Sounds like Wolf's woman was a soapmaker who'd heard one too many snarky remarks about her soap. :lol:

Anita

Well, here they are!

The one on the left is without oats, the one on the right has oats.

I know they are only a couple of days old, but just broke a corner off of one of the sans-oats bars and had a little play. Feels nice already, so looking forward to using it in a month

004 - Lard HP #1 LR.jpg

I make hot process too. Just wanted to let you know that I have ruined batches YES BATCHES! because I didn't pay attention to flash points in the fragrence. I don't use essential oils but I've read they can be prone to vaporizing too. Newbies watch your fragrence oils flash point because after cook you could lose all fragrence in your soap in about a week or less.:mad:

I love the subtle mottled look of HP. Its almost like a faint marble pattern. Nice looking soap there. My skin loves a lard soap.

Back