HP curing time

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

luvtobeamom

Reaction score
How long would you cure a batch of hot process soap before you would consider selling it?
My soaps don't contain any palm oil and usually are around 45% olive oil.

When you make hot process soap you already forced saponification. You can actually use it immediately. However, it will benefit from a 2-3 week cure so it can be a hard bar and last longer in the shower. So you can sell it after that time period.

Last edited:
HP soap is SAFE after cook because it has fully saponified.
It is NOT quality soap yet and not ready for selling.
It still needs a cure just like CP
Weigh after cutting and then weekly. Once weight does not significantly change, test soap for quality

Do either of you sell hp soap?

I have been making soap for quite a while but I have never logged how long I let it sit before I used it..guess I should, but I just wanted to ask some opinions here.

Last edited:
Also, does it matter if I cut it vs. leave it in a log? Will cutting it speed the cure time?

I've made several hot process soaps in my time but never really sold them-- I gave some to my friends as gifts though.

After you place it in the mold and leave it alone for 12-24 hours, I personally think it is best to cut it. That way air gets in all corners of the soap when you allow it to cure. Plus if you leave it alone for too long it might be harder to cut and I always fear that the edges might crumble or something.

Honestly Hp is the same as CP when it comes to cure. If anything it should be a bit longer because you have more water. Regardless of whether you HP or CP your minimum cure should be 4 weeks. Personally I won't sell soap until a minimum of 6 weeks, some recipes longer but NONE shorter.

I have sold both kinds although I do more CP because in my opinion it behaves better and for my soaps comes out prettier.

All this said, people do what they want. Both HP and CP are safe after 1 week so it makes no difference as to safety. I will tell you selling soap is not the easy money you think, and more people fail because they are impatient than because of their ability.

I don't mind when new people sell their soap early - it really helps my sales.

I used HP a lot than CP but I still cure mine for 4 to 6 weeks, I love a hard bar that's why I wait for 4 to 6 weeks even though I don't have a lot of patience.

Ditto what Dorymae said. Experience has taught me that there is a world of difference between 'safe to use' and 'cured'. A soap is safe to use when saponification is complete and there is no longer any un-reacted lye present, but it's still 'half-baked', so to speak. It still needs to cure.

Curing does several things:

1) Hardens the soap as water evaporates.
2) The pH of the soap lowers as it reacts with the CO2 in the air.
3) The microscopic chemical reactions still going on inside the soap help to make the soap to be as mild as the recipe will allow.
4) Those same micro-reactions also help to bring the soap's lathering abilities to full maturity.

There may be more things, but those are the main ones that I can think of off the top of my head at the moment.

In short, curing helps one's soap mature to the best that it can be, according to its particular formula.

Selling anything before that point of maturity is reached is much akin to selling a half-baked cookie, if you ask me.

IrishLass :)

Do either of you sell hp soap?

I actually think the advice given about cure times is better without the selling aspect. Some people who sell seem to want to get it out as soon as possible, regardless of the impact to the customer.

"It's all about the Benjamin's"

I would not sell a hp soap before 4 weeks. I would prefer an 8 week, of course.

I sell both and agree with what IrishLass and Dorymae both have said. I'll never understand why anyone thinks HP can be "ready to sell" faster than CP. Whether it saps in the crockpot or in the mold has nothing to do with speeding up cure time. And if you want it to cure "faster", I'd cut it so the air can get to it more evenly.

I sell CP but make HP for myself and family. I usually let my HP cure for about 3 weeks. I cure my CP for minimum of 4 weeks.

I'm with the others. I actually think HP takes a bit longer to cure as more water/liquid is used. I cure mine 6-8 weeks. Though I like my CP when cured 6-8 but will sell at 4-5 weeks if I really need it.

Latest posts

Back