How to perfect recipes with least amount of wastage

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrsHearnie

Reaction score
Hi again,

Sorry, I feel like I'm taking over the forum a bit with all my questions! I'll try to make this the last one for a bit :oops:

Just wondering, what's the best way to make test batches of product while trying to get your recipe perfect. The ingredients are so expensive & although I'm using them on myself & will give them to family, I was wondering if anyone had any tips on minimising wastage of these lush oils & butters while doing test batches. ATM I'm doing a 100gram trials at a time

Thanks again for all your help

Bel

:D oh, no, the more the better!

Since SAP values differ slightly and just one gram of lye can make the difference between a proper superfatted or lye heavy soap, I personally feel the chance of 'error' is just too high.
Also, the outcome is so variable you'll never know what recipe works or doesn't.

I'd go for bigger batches, 500 grams minimum.

I believe you're just starting out? Cheaper oils will do, especially when you're in the initial learning process.
:wink: I still prefer a coconut, olive, castor and palm oil combo over the more expensive oils and butters.

To me, those seem much more practical to use in leave on applications.

You can also save all of your trimmings and use them in 'confetti soap'.

I agree with the above if you are talking soap.

For lotions and such it'll depend on the accuracy of your scale and also how small a batch your equipment (like mixer/blender/stick blender) can handle.

carebear said:
I agree with the above if you are talking soap.

For lotions and such it'll depend on the accuracy of your scale and also how small a batch your equipment (like mixer/blender/stick blender) can handle.

+1

For lotions, my stick blender needs a minimum amount of water and oils to not spray stuff all over the place. Don't ask me how I know! I have a little latte frother which I might try in smaller batches to see how it goes.

Depending on what you are working with, I got some very good advice from an experienced formulator. If you are working with specialty oils and actives, say to make eye cream or facial serums, she recommended isolating the ingredients you want to test and using them in just an oil or just a water phase one at a time. Then once you know what works best for you, you can begin to formulate emulsions. You could even start by using fancy oils neat on the skin and taking notes about absorption, feel, etc.

HTH! I'm new to this too.

Yep!!! I'm talking lotions. Sorry, should have mentioned that! I can easily whip 100grams with my hand mixer in a medium bowl. I also have a .05 & 1gram scale so I can be quite accurate!

I wonder if I could still whip up a 50g amount??? Talking whipped body butter

Thanks all xx

Latest posts

Back