Impatient or soft recipe

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Splendisimo

Reaction score
Hi people, this is my first post so go easy on me, you all seem like super experienced kind people!
I've been experimenting for a few weeks now and landed on the recipe below. I'm wanting a body soap that's obviously a good cleanser but also quite soft because I get some pretty dry skin. Everything went through soapcalc and I made three small batches with three different fragrances (all IFRA correct) and my soap is 7 days un-moulded and I could still make indents in all of them if I tried. I love love love hemp but did I add too much? Is the percent too high in your experience? Really grateful for some guidance, thanks so much.
Coc oil 35%
Oli Oil 20%
Hemp 20%
Coc butter 15%
Shea 5%
Castor 5%

Welcome to the Forum! I'm experienced now but we all were beginners at some point.

I shoot for 60% hard butters (solid at room temperature) to 40% soft oils (liquid at room temperature. You have 10% butters. I don't know how to classify olive oil -- it's a unique oil.

Olive oil soaps benefit from longer cures, like 6 months or more, to get real hard.

You mentioned that you have dry skin. High amounts of coconut oil in soap can be too drying. I can tolerate in the high 20s but am pretty alone here on the Forum with most here recommending 25% or lower. Coconut oil by itself feels great on the skin but saponification changes it.

I would decrease your coconut oil and increase shea and cocoa butters. Keep castor at 5%.

I ran your recipe through a calculator. Your cleansing number is above what is recommended. This particular cleansing number is a bit confusing because ALL soap is cleansing. Many here recommend an extremely low cleansing number.

Here's a good article that recommends hemp seed oil at 15% https://www.soapqueen.com/bath-and-...s-guide-to-soapmaking-common-soapmaking-oils/ .

I use sodium lactate which can help with hardness. I'm impatient too and it allows me to unmold at 24 hours.

You use 6 ingredients. I often do too but it means more muss and fuss. Recipes with 5 or less mean less dishes.

Keep us posted!

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    111.7 KB · Views: 0
Welcome to the Forum! I'm experienced now but we all were beginners at some point.

I shoot for 60% hard butters (solid at room temperature) to 40% soft oils (liquid at room temperature. You have 10% butters. I don't know how to classify olive oil -- it's a unique oil.

Olive oil soaps benefit from longer cures, like 6 months or more, to get real hard.

You mentioned that you have dry skin. High amounts of coconut oil in soap can be too drying. I can tolerate in the high 20s but am pretty alone here on the Forum with most here recommending 25% or lower. Coconut oil by itself feels great on the skin but saponification changes it.

I would decrease your coconut oil and increase shea and cocoa butters. Keep castor at 5%.

I ran your recipe through a calculator. Your cleansing number is above what is recommended. This particular cleansing number is a bit confusing because ALL soap is cleansing. Many here recommend an extremely low cleansing number.

Here's a good article that recommends hemp seed oil at 15% https://www.soapqueen.com/bath-and-...s-guide-to-soapmaking-common-soapmaking-oils/ .

I use sodium lactate which can help with hardness. I'm impatient too and it allows me to unmold at 24 hours.

You use 6 ingredients. I often do too but it means more muss and fuss. Recipes with 5 or less mean less dishes.

Keep us posted!
Thankyou so much for your reply and advice, it's a bit of a minefield out there and I appreciate it's about finding something that works for you.
I'd read about sodium lactate helping with hardness, I'm going to give that a shot now, thankyou and I'll definitely have another play with my ratios on your advice 🙏🏻

I too think you need to lower the CO, and increase the butters. Also. I think you do have too much hemp in there and it could be contributing to the softness - and it can go rancid easily. You also don't talk about how much lye/water you are using - too much water can take a long time to cure out.
I would try:
20% CO
30% OO
20% Shea Butter
15% Cocoa Butter
10% Hemp
5% Castor
33%Lye concentration

Would you be averse to trying soy wax? I use it instead of palm and animal fats to make a hard bar. You need to ensure the soy wax you get is 100% soy and not a blend with palm or other ingredients: https://www.livemoor.co.uk/collecti...er.v.price.gte=0.00&filter.v.price.lte=178.49

Latest posts

Back