How much peppermint EO ?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vjbakke

Reaction score
What is a good starting point for adding peppermint EO in a soap recipe. Only peppermint. how much per weight of oils?

It depends on how strong you want the scent. Any where from .50 to 1oz ppo. That is always what I use. I like light scents, so I use the lower end, especially with a stronger EO like peppermint.

I like .5 and it still makes areas tingle.. At least that is what my mother said... Yuck!!!

For peppermint alone, maybe .3 oz PPO? It is strong. Check your supplier's guildelines or IFRA for recommended usage rates.

I only use .25oz per 21oz of oil. It is just right for me. Still gives the super refreshing, cool, clean feel.

My notes say .5 PPO. That's more than enough. Depends on your oil - some are more minty than others. It's the second distilation that is the peppermintyish. Others, like from India, are less intense. I have both.

So - if it's a knock your socks off mint then .3 - .5 is enough. If it's a tad mellower then .5 -.7 should do the trick.

HTH ~

I really like the smell of 1st distillation and have to have that one! It is more expensive but I love it. Start with a lower amount and do a smell test once it is mixed in. For your first batch it might be better to go lower. If you are going for a natural looking soap you can dust the top off with dried peppermint. You can mix it in the soap too, but it has a tendency to go brown over time.

I used it in my shampoo bar. I used a lot of Tea Tree oil in the soap, and enough peppermint oil to smell it. The peppermint smell is hard to detect now because the tea tree oil over powers it, BUT, the tingle is there. Lemme tell you, I LOVE LOVE LOVE this shampoo bar. The itchy dry scalp is gone, and I didn't get that winter time dandruff that seems to come on just as the weather is chilling down (I'm in the desert, so winter comes late. I haven't needed to use and hair GOO's either, just wash, dry and off I go. :smile:

I am almost 100000% sure that I am the product of immaculate conception. As are my siblings.

Ahahahaha, aren't we all?

But I've found that going halfsies with sweet orange oil and peppermint oil really brings out the peppermint smell. Like, I'd use 0.5 ounce per pound of soap oils for each.

Back