How to get smell / odor out of a silicone mold

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wy234

Reaction score
I followed a recipe using peppermint EO and I believe I ended up using way too much EO! I cut that batch into chunks and I'm going to add it to an unscented batch next to cut it back a bit... Anyway, I now have a mold that smells strongly like peppermint, and I'm concerned about using it for a 100% unscented batch. Is there any recommended way to get the smell out? Vinegar maybe? Or, is it quite unlikely that the next batch would pick up any scent from the mold itself?
Thanks for any advice!

I've never had an issue with scent transferring to the next batch, but I make unscented soap so infrequently I can't remember if it was a problem. If you are using the peppermint soap in the unscented batch, it will probably smell like peppermint anyway so🤷‍♀️. How much peppermint EO did you use?

I'm looking for a solution to this too. I bought a honeydew FO that was so strong smelling. I didn't even make soap with it yet. Just stored it in a plastic tub with all my soap stuff and it scented the mold. The FO was wrapped in bubble wrap, not leaking, not opened and not near the mold. This "scented" mold is still scented after 1 batch of soap. Should I leave it in the open to air out? At this point, I should send this FO into quarantine.

Interesting thing is my other mold (thicker) in the same tub did not smell of anything.

If you are using the peppermint soap in the unscented batch, it will probably smell like peppermint anyway so🤷‍♀️. How much peppermint EO did you use?
My plan for the next few batches is to use the chunks, but once the chunks are gone, I'll want to go back to 100% unscented without the additional mint chunks, and I'm just thinking forward to that batch, wondering if this mold will transfer any minty smell to that one.
My FO was 3% of the weight of the oils.
It seemed to sit on the top of the loaf after curing, it was all wet and smelled so strong... but that was my first time trying any FO at all so I'm not sure really what it should be like...

@wy234 if you used essential oil, 3% is a safe amount. The description of the EO/FO sitting on the top might mean that the essential oil was more concentrated in that area. Since you've chopped the soap up, I don't think this will be a problem. You said 'during cure', but I assume you mean saponification. Did you have a good trace before pouring into the mold? It sounds like you maybe didn't have a stable emulsion before pouring into the mold and possibly experienced some separation. I can't say for sure that no odor will transfer to an unscented batch, but I really don't think you will have a problem. Even if it does when you first unmold, the smell should dissipate during cure.

@Zuleika I don't think the smell from your FO will transfer to a new batch, but all you can do is try. I would definitely move the offending FO out of your storage bin though.

I recently started with some uncolored unscented batches, and was concerned about scent transfer as all my silicone molds smell like the batch that was in there last, even if it was a few weeks prior. But I've had zero transference of scent, happy to say. Now, the mica smudges from my sloppy molds and liners, that's another story.... :p

@wy234 if you used essential oil, 3% is a safe amount. The description of the EO/FO sitting on the top might mean that the essential oil was more concentrated in that area. Since you've chopped the soap up, I don't think this will be a problem. You said 'during cure', but I assume you mean saponification. Did you have a good trace before pouring into the mold? It sounds like you maybe didn't have a stable emulsion before pouring into the mold and possibly experienced some separation. I can't say for sure that no odor will transfer to an unscented batch, but I really don't think you will have a problem. Even if it does when you first unmold, the smell should dissipate during cure.
Thanks for the information. Yes I may have not mixed it up enough.
I recently started with some uncolored unscented batches, and was concerned about scent transfer as all my silicone molds smell like the batch that was in there last, even if it was a few weeks prior. But I've had zero transference of scent, happy to say. Now, the mica smudges from my sloppy molds and liners, that's another story.... :p
Good to hear!

I had that happen to one of my silicone molds that was stored with scented candles.
I put the mold in the top rack of the dishwasher and that helped some.
I now keep all my molds separate from anything else. Any fragranced products are kept in another room since the majority of the soaps I make are fragrance-free.

I only use silicone molds, and usually a cycle in the dishwasher is all they need. Even if there is a whiff of scent left it doesn't transfer to the next batch.

One extreme case for me is eucalyptus EO. I use it in a non-soap product and it leaves the molds stinking of eucalyptus. Before I run the molds through the dishwasher, I leave them outside for a few days to get most of the stinking out.

Latest posts

Back