Where to get high quality masculine fragrances?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Revan33

Reaction score
Hello, I live in Australia and recently purchased a few masculine type fragrance oils from a local supplier. I've never purchased fragrance oils before but if I am to be brutally honest, I must say that these fragrances smell absolutely nothing like their descriptions, what should smell like a smoky tobacco, simply smells like a sweet perfume cologne that some nerdy guy purchased at half price for $7.95 from the department store so he can go to that one party he got invited to this year. I had the same results for all of the hand full of fragrance oils I purchased from this supplier, they all smell like sweet perfume.

I'm not sure, what to think or even feel, I'm dazed and confused. Please help.

If you have these EOs then, I have a couple of blends for you.

1 part Frankincense EO or FO
1 part Myrrh EO or FO
1 part Patchouli EO
3 parts Sandalwood FO

1 part Sandalwood FO
1 part Vanilla FO
1 part Bergamot EO
1 part Vetiver EO

Here is one of my favorites, an Old Spice Dup.-- equal parts of a good sandalwood FO and allspice EO

Unless you blend your own EOs as mentioned above, buying, trying and testing FOs is an individual process that takes time and costs money.

You can try to shortcut the investment by buying from reputable suppliers that have many reviews, and hopefully testing notes, ie if the fragrance changes after soaping and/or curing. But you have to bear in mind, the reviews are from individuals who's level of scent sensitivity may differ wildly than yours. You might hate what many people love, and vice versa. Scent is extremely individual.

In an ideal world, you could travel to your local supplier and sniff all their samples, but that may not be a possibility for you.

Also, you mention all the FOs you purchased from this one supplier smell like sweet perfume. It might be that this supplier has a base note they include in most of their blends that comes across to you as sweet. You might have to search elsewhere for FOs that suit you.

Don't dispair though, you may be able to salvage your FOs by blending them with other FOs to create something you truly like.

Don't dispair though, you may be able to salvage your FOs by blending them with other FOs to create something you truly like.
I agree, try adding a deep base note, such as patchouli or oakmoss to the FOs you have. I would try it first using cotton balls, 1 drop of the base note EO to 3-4 drops of FO. You can experiment and adjust using this method, each drop representing a part.

Where in Oz are you ? I might be able to recommend a supplier.
Brisbane region

Seeing as though FO's vary from supplier to supplier, perhaps it is a better idea to mix EO's, seeing as though they are made purely from natural sources, surely they have less variance in notes?

Brisbane region

Seeing as though FO's vary from supplier to supplier, perhaps it is a better idea to mix EO's, seeing as though they are made purely from natural sources, surely they have less variance in notes?
I mix FOs all the time with no issues (other than sometimes not liking how the final mix ends up smelling, lol). Like leftovers in the fridge being combined into a new and tasty dish, mixing FO's is a great way to use up dribs and drabs of this and that. And also like leftovers, I've ended up with some super combinations that I can never recreate because I didn't take notes, or some of the FOs are discontinued, etc. ;)

If you have these EOs then, I have a couple of blends for you.

1 part Frankincense EO or FO
1 part Myrrh EO or FO
1 part Patchouli EO
3 parts Sandalwood FO

1 part Sandalwood FO
1 part Vanilla FO
1 part Bergamot EO
1 part Vetiver EO

Here is one of my favorites, an Old Spice Dup.-- equal parts of a good sandalwood FO and allspice EO
Where do you get the true scented FO's? I've found most FO's that say they are scented a single fragrance really don't smell like the real one. If that makes sense.

Brisbane region

I don't have any trouble mixing fo's to get a different scent, eo's are too expensive as far as I'm concerned to wash down the drain.
fragranceshed.com.au is in Brisbane and have over 500 to pick from, she is closed until mid, late January.

https://aussiesoapsupplies.com.au/f...ces-by-season-and-scent-type/men-fathers-day/
Heirloom Body Care carries Sweetcakes FOs, a reputable supplier and long time favorite of USA soapmakers. Green Irish Tweed, Cool Water for Men, Egyptian Musk are some I remember from long ago when I used their fragrances regularly.
Heirloom is in Sydney and is too expensive for sweetcakes fo's as they have to be imported from the US, just looked and one of the manly scents is $19 for 100ml, so not that economic for soaping, they are closed over Christmas, they have no minimum order.
Aussie soap supplies are in Perth, they take forever to get to the east coast, they have Brambleberry scents which again are expensive and they also have a minimum order, add postage and it can be expensive.
Being in Bris Vegas I'd try the fragrance shed.

Wholesale Supplies Plus is one of my favorite suppliers. I always read the reviews before purchasing.:)
EDTA: By the way, for those who have access to Crafters Choice FOs, Oakmoss Sandalwood is one of my favorite masculine scents.
I do order from them. Their Dragonfruit and Pear is currently one of my best sellers. I'll take a look at what they offer. Just wish they were a bit cheaper and didn't take so long to ship.

Oakmoss Sandalwood is one of my favorite masculine scents.
Agree - I mixed Oakmoss Sandalwood with Crafter’s Choice sandalwood and it FLEW off the shelves, gender non-specific! Maybe more men.
I don’t like some fragrances and always feel so let down when I make a purchase and then open the bottle and smell what I call the cheap aftershave smell. I don’t know if it is one certain chemical I am smelling but to me it is really unappealing and headache inducing. I wish all companies did what Stock Fragrance does and sent free sniff samples before you buy.

Latest posts

Back