Hot process castile

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good question. I use a very high OO content for my regular recipe. Usually I let it cure for 8 weeks, but if I gel, it's okay in like 6 weeks. It still is much better after a longer cure than that though.

HP really is only gelling in the pot opposed to CP gelling in the mould. Some people think water evaporates while HPing, and it may, but to really know someone would have to weigh the soap paste before it goes in the mould and compare it to the weight they put in the pot. I would say castile still would need the long cure.

It's really personal preference...I usually "shower test" my soap to check for lather, conditioning, scent. I always have at least one bar that is odd sized or not one that I feel is sellable that I use as a test bar. I like mine to be pretty hard too so for me it would be probably closer to the 8 weeks since I use 100% OO.

Debra

See I disagree... with HPing, I found that the bars were MUCH harder after a week or two. With CP I found that my soap was slightly "sticky" feeling for at least 4-5 months after I made it and I didn't have that feeling from HPing. I think I will HP my castille recipe from now on... it worked out great!! I have only done one batch like this, but those were the immediate differences, I really felt that it cut down on that long cure time.

Personal preference i guess and the old debate of saponified vs cured...

(Clemmy, post a larger version of your profile pic somewhere? :) )

Latest posts

Back