Olive oil soaps

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have made plenty of soap using pomace, with nary a problem UNTIL I bought a 20 litre box of pomace a few months ago from Costco. And - Holy Moley!! My first soap using that pomace oil went to a thick trace instantly. I am very conservative with my stick blender, and had only done a couple 2-3 second bursts when that batter moved to pudding, and I barely had time to slam it into my loaf mold. I tried again, with a lower percentage of pomace. Same result. One last try with 20% pomace and I managed to do a swirl, but I packed that box up and took it back. That’s my evidence-based experience that one pomace is not like the others! 🤔😁.

One month on, I've tried my ZNSC soaps and quite liked them. Solid hard bar (I like hard soaps!), small lather but still lathers well. It's "slimey" if there's not enough water to lather and the hand feel of the bar is slippery. Needs a net bag to stop it slipping out my hands. Good cleansing soap but skin felt a bit dry after use. Love the natural creamy colour of the bar and barely there fruity scent of the olive oil.

Overall I'll rate it 8/10. Took 2 off for slight dryness and slippery feel of bar.

Conclusion: Definitely worth a try! Will make this again if family likes it. :thumbs:

That’s my evidence-based experience that one pomace is not like the others!
Very strange. That sounds like the olive oil that I lost 6 months of sales with because it did not perform as it should. Tom Lawson, the owner of Soapers Choice was on the Southern Soapers Yahoo Group at that time. He offered to test my olive oil. I sent him 4 oz. from two different brands. One from a local supplier, one from a Natural Grocery store. Both turned out to be adulterated. They had the same SAP value as soy oil.

You might check the Country of Origin on the pomace you bought. Depending where it comes from, it may also be adulterated. Then google "Fake Olive Oil" to learn more.

2nd batch of ZNSC. I loved it enough in the shower to make a 2nd batch for using next year. Used up the last of my accelerating olive pomace. Switching to OO after this.

Made a Marseille variation with 75% pomace, 10% CO, 10% palmolein, 5% castor. Coloured half with TD to see if it was worth "whitening". Apparently not much difference. Natural creamy colour is good enough for me. Excuse my TD specks. I did not disperse, just dumped it in last minute.

1.36 Castile.jpg
1.37 Marseille.jpg

Back