horrible nasty rank smell!!! help!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mcleodnaturals

Reaction score
Today I made a batch of my most popular soap, a mix of spearmint and peppermint essential oils colored with blue ultramarine. Today, I thought I'd add the ultramarine to the oils BEFORE I added the lye (usually I add it after I cook it a while). It made such a nice, smooth color...but then, after I cooked it (I do HP) I started to smell this awful stink. Is it because I added the ultramarine before the lye??!?! Even after the adding of the EOs there is still an underlying stink. Never before have I smelled this with normal soap making (although it is similar to the stink that goats milk soap gives off when it heats up). Will it go away?! My kitchen stinks and I'm tempted to just chuck it out the door...but if anyone has any advice or a better idea, I'm all ears!

thanks!

Hmm..I've HP'd ultramarines just fine without getting a smell like that. I've also added the ultramarines to my heated oils before adding the lye in my regular CP with no issues. I would wait it out and let it cure. All kinds of weird smells go away after a good cure- ammonia smells from GM, initial perm-like smells from certain FOs, doggy breath smells from adding coffee to soap, etc.... I have come to learn to never judge a batch until it's gone through a few weeks or more of curing.

IrishLass :)

I always give the soap a chance to please me , you just can't tell what it will be until some time has passed.

Latest posts

Back