Young Wine Soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi everyone!
I have been waiting a year to try this, and finally got the chance, just in time for Christmas šŸŽ„

Here in Switzerland, for like one month a year after the grape harvest, they sell a couple of different ā€œyoung wineā€ beverages in supermarkets with really low alcohol content (1.5%):
IMG_0801.jpeg

I really wanted to use it instead of wine, in the hopes that I could skip the boiling process, and still call it wine soap. Taste-wise itā€™s barely a step up from grape juice, but itā€™s not diluted with water, really just pressed grapes.

So I did, used 100% of the liquid as bourru, most of it frozen and a little liquid. The lye kind of burned the liquid but also kind of not; the smell wasnā€™t awful but definitely like wine.

I made soap with olive/palm/coconut/castor, scented with Crisp Red Apple (BB), cinnamon eo, and Bulgarian rose eo. Uncolored.

Even before adding the fragrance it reached trace really quickly, then once I added the little devils it did its absolute best to become soap on a stick. Through sheer tenacity I forced it all into little molds, with varying degrees of esthetic success:

IMG_0804.jpeg

At the moment itā€™s a beige color, but I think it will darken as it cures a bit.
The pleasant surprise for me is that it doesnā€™t stink! From previous posts of wine soap this was indicated as a problem for several months. Also, compared to honey soaps, this one did not aggressively heat up at least in the molds, so not too many volcano-tendencies.

All in all, Iā€™d say it works to use young wine in soap making, lets you skip a step. Just have to move really quickly, especially if you want to add cinnamon scent šŸ˜…

Iā€™ll post a pic in a few weeks if the color changes šŸ˜Š

I really wanted to use it instead of wine, in the hopes that I could skip the boiling process, and still call it wine soap.
Good thinking!
Crisp Red Apple (BB), cinnamon eo, and Bulgarian rose eo.
That mind-smells yummy! šŸ˜‹
Even before adding the fragrance it reached trace really quickly, then once I added the little devils it did its absolute best to become soap on a stick.
TIP: When that happens, I walk away for 5 minutes. I even set the timer. When I return, the batch is going into the gel stage. It's easy to stir at that point and to pour into my mold.
Just have to move really quickly, especially if you want to add cinnamon scent
So true! Thanks for the reminder!

Latest posts

Back