Hoping for the best...

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Val

Reaction score
I made my first swirl. I used Turmeric for colorant. Base color came out a very nice yellow and the swirl was a reddish brown.

Messed up and forgot to use the oil I had infused when I measured the oils and had already added them together when it hit me I did that.

So I just scooped out some of the warmed oil and infused it with some new turmeric. Poured off the liquid so I wouldn't have the specks for the main color....used what was left for the swirl. Later added it to the traced soap.

All went very well colors were great etc. I had the oven on for warming at 170 mold warming also. Poured my soap, swirled it and placed in oven, turned off oven and went to bed. So far so good.

This morning I looked in the oven to see how it was going and was horrified!

My soap is Dark Brown on top hopefully it will not be like that inside. All my pretty swirls are gone! Looks like Honey soap.

FO suggested yellow, gold and amber colors as it has 1.5% vanilla I used the FO 1 ounce to the 42 oz oils. Any thoughts?

Val

Was it still warm when you took it out of the oven? It will change color as it cools down. I don't think 1 oz of Fo in 42oz of soap would change the color that much. I would give it time to do it's thing , the panic you feel when you first take it out of the oven can change to "oh I like that" after it cools and cures for a couple of days , sometimes a bit longer.

Kitn

Yes it is changing color now. I messed it up on top tho.... in my panic I thought it got too hot and the plastic wrap was touching it and I pulled it off and it messed up the top. Here is a pic of it now. Looking ok..... just will have to trim it a bit to make look nice now.

At first it was all the dark brown. LOL I could not see a swirl whatsoever!

Val

p5270005.jpg

it looks pretty where you can see the swirls. i hope it looks just as pretty inside. my fingers are grossed for you!

Thanks Krissy! Hopefully next time I won't be a ding a ling and panic so quickly. LOL All I did was make more work for myself. LOL

Val

I am always excited to see the results of "in pot" modifications. Isn't this chemistry awesome and terrifying? Love it.

I anxiously await your pics!

Woohoo! I can't wait to make my first soap - and eventually soap swirls!

looks good!

No I haven't cut it yet. The top was my fault. I had plastic wrap over it and it was touching and I pulled it off while it was still in gel. :oops:

I plan to cut tomorrow morning.

Val

Ok as promised here they are. I am not happy at all. :(

There is very little swirl going on here. LOL It looks like I only poured it on the top but I poured a little base in then did some of the color in circles then more base then more color. If anything I thought the edges would be where my color went as when I started to pour the base in second time it seemed to push everything to the sides. I poured slowly and around to hopefully not have that.

Also it is not quite as hard as I would have thought. It is sticky and can be mashed into any form I want if I tried. LOL I was very careful. Something I must be doing wrong here as one that was like this before I did not cut for quite some time and it was like this until I cut it and I ended up trying to rebatch it then it met with file 13. There is no zap and has good bubbles when I wash hands with the goo. LOL

I did not use less water this time for fear of the FO and first time swirling. Did not want a first time seize on my list yet. LOL

If I cut the top off where I messed it up I will lose any color that is there so overall I fail this batch but can live with it. :roll:

Val

Val, I think they look really nice and natural. I'm not just saying that either. I like them a lot! If they're that gooey still (and now you know what your FO will do) maybe you could cut the water the next time you make it.
Great job! Be proud of those! :D

Oh and I forgot to say the scent is very faint. I used 1 oz for this batch and I am guessing that it will take that much more to hold a scent and that is all I have left is 1 oz. I may order some more but think I will use it with 1 oz of Black amber musk as I read someone saying they go great together. This time I will cut back on the water a bit. I used the 38% on soap calc. I think I will go to 35% and try a Lilac in bloom so I can do some of my pigments. I have Ultramarine Violet and UM Blue. Someone mentioned that the violet is more pinkish and to add a tad of UMB for a lavender. I have those dissolved in 1oz of oil waiting to get used. I can hear them calling. LOL

Val

i think they are beautiful. with natural hand made soaps, the look can be intentional...customers will never know.

Val

I think your soap looks lovely - it looks as if you intentionally went with the caramel coloured swirlies on top with just a hint of Caramel in the bar - It kind of reminds me of Vanilla Ice cream with Caramel sauce ( why does soap always remind me of food? Or is it that going on a healthy diet that cuts out almost anything remotely junky, makes you hallucinate sugar and fat in everything?)

Latest posts

Back