Homegrown Luffas!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RockinRodeoChick

Reaction score
So, I finally got to harvest a couple of my luffas today. Should have some more in about a week. Have lots of little babies on the vines still too. Is it silly that I'm this excited?

Before we pulled the dry skin off:

DH decided to help me:

After:

I think the one on the left is going to use a little more cleaning. The one on the right was perfect. And they're soo soft! I can't wait to use one of my own in the shower! :D

How great! You'll have to post back and let us know how they feel after using one. Every year I say I'm going to grow some luffas and then I never plant any seeds. Maybe next year. :D

Wow, that's awesome..I have never even seen loofah seeds.
What kind of growing conditions do they need and where did you get the seeds? I would love to try to grow them. I'm on the west coast, I wonder if they would grow here.

o_O i always thought that loofas were from the ocean!!
my mom told us that they were the skeletons of dead sea cucumbers so that we wouldnt play with her loofa cuz that was "so gross"
lol, 20 years later and i still believed her! she is in big trouble now!!!

Those are too cool!

You should sell them... I'd buy.

krissy said:
o_O i always thought that loofas were from the ocean!!
my mom told us that they were the skeletons of dead sea cucumbers so that we wouldnt play with her loofa cuz that was "so gross"
lol, 20 years later and i still believed her! she is in big trouble now!!!

Haha! That's great! My mom told me something similar. There are some that do come from the ocean, but they have a different texture/look to them. You can tell the difference just by looking after you figure out what the difference is. :) Hehe

Deda, that was part of my plan. When I start selling my soap and things in the spring, I'd planned on taking these and offering them for sale alongside my other products. I've also considered selling them to others on the board, but I'm not sure how much to sell them for. :) Hehe. We'll see.

Sygrid, I got mine from a small local farm. There are lots of places online that sell them. :) http://theluffafarm.com/ Eventually, I'd like a setup like theirs. They generally need lots of sun, water and a good bit of heat, but not too much. They're technically a gourd.

Well I'm lucky I work for a seed company. But we have to amend our soil since we have good ol Carolina red clay. So I will have to wait till next year to plant. I do love growing gourds. Can't wait to do the luffas.

USE FOR BATHING?

i have used it in bathroom for more than 25 years.
it was growing near my home, and which was sold very cheap.
anyone of you guys comes to China tianjin and visit me, i will give it to him/her as a present for free. :D

you mean this one?
gFiW1xN7.jpg

xinsrc_3820803221937000278728.jpg

Deda said:
Those are too cool!

You should sell them... I'd buy.

Ditto! Bet you could sell the heck out of them on etsy & bring extra attention to your soap that way. It would be a great gimmick to make you 'stand-out.'

Hazel said:
Sauron,

Are those really luffas? If so, they're huge!

YEP~there were many kinds of luffas in china, most of them were plant for eating, i like eating it ,it is quite delicious. if it was not be eaten when they was tender, they will grow big enough for bathing.
once anyone of you came to china, i would give a piece of it to you as a gift if you want. :eek:

there is special luffas for eating, of course, when they were young and tender. it's quite delicious, i cook them with eggs. :D

Sauron said:
USE FOR BATHING?

i have used it in bathroom for more than 25 years.
it was growing near my home, and which was sold very cheap.
anyone of you guys comes to China tianjin and visit me, i will give it to him/her as a present for free. :D

you mean this one?
gFiW1xN7.jpg

xinsrc_3820803221937000278728.jpg

And I was happy with my little tiny things. XD

Back