Help with recipe for basic multicoloured soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you use silicone molds, it also takes longer for the soap before it's ready to unmold. 2 days is definitely average, but 3-4 is more likely for me.

My experience is pretty much the same depending on the recipe. For ungelled 100% olive oil, they are consistently finished at about the 60 hour mark in a dry room @ 23 degrees C. Up to about 55 hours, they're still zappy and very soft. Then suddenly over the next 5 hours the change is amazing. They become rock hard, and I think if it ever stuck to the silicone I'd end up ripping the silicone before breaking off any soap! Keep in mind that I do use a water discount for this soap (40% lye to water).

What I find interesting is that nearly nothing happens for 55 hours, then boom - 5 hours later, done. My hypothesis is that olive oil when used alone has a very simple fatty acid profile, the majority being only 2 of them, and that these acids begin and end saponification at similar rates. In a more "balanced" recipe containing a complex mix of fatty acids, they all saponify at different rates and thus the soap reaches complete saponification more gradually and at a more even rate. Maybe? Hahaha!

My experience is pretty much the same depending on the recipe. For ungelled 100% olive oil, they are consistently finished at about the 60 hour mark in a dry room @ 23 degrees C. Up to about 55 hours, they're still zappy and very soft. Then suddenly over the next 5 hours the change is amazing. They become rock hard, and I think if it ever stuck to the silicone I'd end up ripping the silicone before breaking off any soap! Keep in mind that I do use a water discount for this soap (40% lye to water).

What I find interesting is that nearly nothing happens for 55 hours, then boom - 5 hours later, done. My hypothesis is that olive oil when used alone has a very simple fatty acid profile, the majority being only 2 of them, and that these acids begin and end saponification at similar rates. In a more "balanced" recipe containing a complex mix of fatty acids, they all saponify at different rates and thus the soap reaches complete saponification more gradually and at a more even rate. Maybe? Hahaha!

That does make sense. I want to make a castille soap... but the year long cure kinda keeps me thinking.... as I am just starting out and wanna experience my soaps asap..... beginner's curiosity I guess.... :)

Thank you so much for bringing this up.. I went through the threads and loved the information. This form never fails to amaze me with the information.. you guys are amazing. One more question, when you use half vinegar, when can we remove from the mould and cut the soap as I read that the soap will get hard fast and might be difficult to cut.
The sodium acetate does speed the initial hardening some. I typically unmold within 24 hours even less if I am using a recipe with a high percentage of "hard" oils ( like lard).

That does make sense. I want to make a castille soap... but the year long cure kinda keeps me thinking.... as I am just starting out and wanna experience my soaps asap..... beginner's curiosity I guess.... :)

Yup, a year... preferably longer even!

Honestly for such a long time I thought the idea of making castile was the most stupid thing on earth. Like why would anyone make a bar of soap that's totally opposite of what a balanced soap should be? Plug 100% olive oil into SoapCalc and it's basically the worst thing a person could do. 100% lard... maybe (and I did!). Those 100% lard bars were pretty darn good by the way.

But at this very moment while writing this post I'm enjoying a glass of homemade wine I transferred from the oak barrel to the bottle in 2004. Yum!

I can certainly understand you. I probably made 60 soap batches before I tried castile. So I already had years upon years of soap supply on hand. Keep making soap you can enjoy soon for now. :)

Latest posts

Back