Favorite CP recipe that is imbalanced in Soap Calc?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Saponif

Reaction score
I have tried at least a dozen recipes but he always made recipes that are fairly balanced in Soap Calc. I am curious whether anyone has a basic CP recipe that is imbalanced according to Soap Calc but that you really enjoy. If so, I would love to hear about it.

Not exactly sure what you mean by "balanced." If you mean hitting the middle of the range suggested for the properties Soapcalc calls "creamy, "hardness", "conditioning" etc., then I suppose many recipes are "unbalanced." Classic soaps that are "unbalanced" would include 100% olive oil soap or any vegetable-oil soap based purely on liquid oils (aka recipes to dupe Dr Bronner or Kirk's soap). Also a 100% coconut oil soap with a 20% superfat for bathing or a 0% superfat for laundry and household use. Other "unbalanced" classics are 100% tallow or 100% lard soap or a mostly tallow or lard soap with maybe 15-20% coconut oil.

I did quite a bit of investigating about how the "numbers" are calculated per Soapcalc when I was a newer soap maker.

While the "numbers" are a reasonably easy way for beginners to get started designing their own recipes, it's important to not put too much faith in the "numbers." For one thing, it's important to know the "numbers" are based only on the % of fatty acids in the recipe. There is no consideration for the effect of things that aren't fatty acids but can definitely affect the soap properties. Big examples include the amount of superfat used; the effect of additives on mildness, hardness and lather; and the effect of varying the water content (aka using different lye concentrations or water:lye ratios)

Nor do I think the names are all that accurate or helpful. For example, "cleansing" is more accurately "stripping". And "conditioning" should be more accurately called "mildness".

And in some cases, I think the way some "numbers" are calculated is flawed. For example, the property of mildness (aka "conditioning") really needs to include the % of palmitic and stearic acids, not just the unsaturated fatty acids (oleic, linoleic, linolenic, and ricinoleic).
I recommend as people gain more experience with soap making to focus more on the percentages of the individual fatty acids.

Latest posts

Back