Hello. This knitter wants to be a soaper.

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice to meet you! I learned to crochet as a child and started knitting 6 yrs ago. Socks are my addiction. I have 2 sweaters under my belt and hope to knit a lot more.
I never made socks. It just seems to me they would be too bulky to fit in shoes comfortably. I must be wrong. What are the advantages of hand knit socks?

I never made socks. It just seems to me they would be too bulky to fit in shoes comfortably. I must be wrong. What are the advantages of hand knit socks?
Hand knit socks are made with fingering weight yarn. Not too bulky at all. For me, I just love the look of a heel flap and gusset. Others have issues, high instep, wide or narrow heel and can custom fit the socks.

Welcome Lisa :), I knit, crochet, sew, paint, anything and everything.
Nice! I hope to be adding a few commas to my name also.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi I am a lavender grower and I want to make my own soaps ,I had made some of them but I am not sure about the wright way.I hope to learn more details in this forum!hello everyone from Argentina!:)

Welcome! When we moved to Denmark "on a temporary basis" 3 1/2 years ago, I taught myself how to knit because I left all of my soaping supplies in the US. Both are great hobbies! It seems like crafty birds of a feather...
Thank you! You certainly made the best of a bad situation.

Welcome, NYknits,
I knit, crochet, sew and make soap too.
I can paint walls but that is about it. :(
Thank you so much. I would say that’s about a lot! Lol

Hi I am a lavender grower and I want to make my own soaps ,I had made some of them but I am not sure about the wright way.I hope to learn more details in this forum!hello everyone from Argentina!:)
Hello there! Ahhh, lavender...so delicious. Lucky you.

hello and welcome!
i'm an ultra basic knitter and a moderately better crocheter. if i want something done well i ask my mom or pay friends for it LOL :D
hope you love soaping as much as you do knitting!
LOl. Thank you. I hope so too.

Hello and Welcome! I crochet and sew but not often anymore.
Thank you! So many multi crafters here. I love it.

Hi there knitter! I'm a spinner/indie dyer/full time fiber artist! Soap is so fun.
Oh cool! I’ve taken a couple of dyeing workshops and I also spin. Nice to meet you.

Welcome! I first started knitting socks when my firstborn son (soon to be 50) was a baby because his doctor recommended wool socks for him (related to a medical situation I will not get into at this point - old and very long story - don't want to repeat.) Knitting socks with a very fine wool with those tiny little double-pointed needles for tiny little baby feet was quite a project! I made only a few pair of said socks and haven't knit a lot of socks since. But my SIL and niece really enjoy knitting socks.

And no, they are not at all bulky when made with very fine yarn. I was just looking at some bamboo & silk sock yarn a couple of days ago and thinking how I would love to wear a pair of socks knit with that yarn, but I am not inclined to knit socks anymore. My Dupuytren's just wouldn't let me!

Welcome! I first started knitting socks when my firstborn son (soon to be 50) was a baby because his doctor recommended wool socks for him (related to a medical situation I will not get into at this point - old and very long story - don't want to repeat.) Knitting socks with a very fine wool with those tiny little double-pointed needles for tiny little baby feet was quite a project! I made only a few pair of said socks and haven't knit a lot of socks since. But my SIL and niece really enjoy knitting socks.

And no, they are not at all bulky when made with very fine yarn. I was just looking at some bamboo & silk sock yarn a couple of days ago and thinking how I would love to wear a pair of socks knit with that yarn, but I am not inclined to knit socks anymore. My Dupuytren's just wouldn't let me!
Hello! Do you still knit at all? I love my hand knit socks. I must have about 30 of them. Wash day is a real treat (not). Lol. I’m currently knitting and crocheting soap sacks for charity and I’m eager to add soapmaking to my making.

I'll chime in - I am a knitter - I always tell people I knit either sweaters or cat beds (cuz if the sweater fails, the boys will always sleep on it!)

I tried socks once and thought I was gonna die! TOO FIDDLY for me!

My eyes tend to be bigger than my needles AND I have the attention span of your average ADHD toddler, so I end up with lots of half finished stuff :)

I love my yarn tho! I am a wool gal all the way.

I'll chime in - I am a knitter - I always tell people I knit either sweaters or cat beds (cuz if the sweater fails, the boys will always sleep on it!)

I tried socks once and thought I was gonna die! TOO FIDDLY for me!

My eyes tend to be bigger than my needles AND I have the attention span of your average ADHD toddler, so I end up with lots of half finished stuff :)

I love my yarn tho! I am a wool gal all the way.
Lol That is a good strategy. I wish everyone who taught sock knitting would teach with worsted weight yarn. They make the coziest sleep socks. Maybe? Another go? I’m just a hank knit sock addict.

Are all you knitters on Ravelry? If so, are you aware there's a soap making group there?
Thank you! I wasn’t aware of that. Anyone want to drop their Ravelry name? I’m Nyknits.

Welcome to the most wonderful addiction!!
I am also a knitter, crochetier and quilter. Start knitting in grade 4 a year later with crochet and 20yrs ago started to quilt and to batik paint.

I'm glad to see we have other things in common.

Welcome!!!:computerbath:

Hello! Do you still knit at all? I love my hand knit socks. I must have about 30 of them. Wash day is a real treat (not). Lol. I’m currently knitting and crocheting soap sacks for charity and I’m eager to add soapmaking to my making.

Doing needlework is so much harder on my hands than it used to be when I was young and didn't have Dupuytren's and arthritis. Just last week I struggled with a simple mending job of a rip in my granddaughter's leggings and by the time I was done, said 'no more'. What with the cramping it causes in my palms, the inadequate light and impaired eyesight, (and OMG, threading the needle!) I was reminded of why I don't do most of these things anymore!

Hello, NYknits! I am a knitter, crocheter, sewer (not yet a real seamstress), soaper, and many other things. I have way too many hobbies. I hope you enjoy making soap and enjoy the journey. Welcome!

Welcome to the most wonderful addiction!!
I am also a knitter, crochetier and quilter. Start knitting in grade 4 a year later with crochet and 20yrs ago started to quilt and to batik paint.

I'm glad to see we have other things in common.

Welcome!!!:computerbath:
Thank you so much! Quilting is something I’m interested in learning. They are so beautiful.

Doing needlework is so much harder on my hands than it used to be when I was young and didn't have Dupuytren's and arthritis. Just last week I struggled with a simple mending job of a rip in my granddaughter's leggings and by the time I was done, said 'no more'. What with the cramping it causes in my palms, the inadequate light and impaired eyesight, (and OMG, threading the needle!) I was reminded of why I don't do most of these things anymore!
I understand why you no longer do it. So sorry. How long have you been soaping?

Latest posts

Back