Have a good shower soap recipe?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LynnCaroline

Reaction score
I have only made one batch of soap which turned out okay. What are your favorite shower soap recipes? Mine didn't lather that well, so I still need to do some more research!

LynnCaroline said:
I have only made one batch of soap which turned out okay. What are your favorite shower soap recipes? Mine didn't lather that well, so I still need to do some more research!

Soap Calc is a great resource (if your not using it already) http://www.soapcalc.net/calc/SoapCalcWP.asp it lets you tweak your recipes in order to improve certain qualities (such as lather) before actually making the soap and waiting to try it out.

[Soap Calc is a great resource (if your not using it already) http://www.soapcalc.net/calc/SoapCalcWP.asp it lets you tweak your recipes in order to improve certain qualities (such as lather) before actually making the soap and waiting to try it out.]

Thanks for this tip! I will definatly play around with this next time. Here is the recipe I used: (from MMS)

15 oz water
6.5 wt oz lye

32 wt oz tallow
2 wt oz sweet almond oil
3 wt oz olive oil
6 wt oz coconut oil
7 wt oz cocoa butter

Caress type FO at trace

Your opinions? Are there other oils that I could be using to make a good shower soap? Any advice is appreciated![/quote]

I add about 6% castor to my soaps and I love the lather. I've also used sugar (1 Tbsp PPO, dissolved in boiling distilled water and added at trace). That helped as well. I don't use tallow, so I can't comment on that, but coconut oil helps with lather as well (though if you use more than 20% or so, it can make your soap a bit drying on the skin). I'm fairly new, but that's my 2 cents!

Thanks, dcornett for the SoapCalc tip. I just entered my recipe and found that it passes the test for cleansing, hardness and creamy, but it's not good for bubbly or conditioning... two things I really want in a bath soap. Glad I found this website, now I can tweak my recipe to hopefully make a better batch next time!

dig around in soapcalc more and you will see that coconut oil is great for big bubbles. so consider increasing your percentage of that (or of palm kernel or babassu)

Thanks LynnCaroline, glad I could help. As the others have said coconut and castor are 2 oils that can really boost the bubbles. I love castor oil, and like to use at least 6% also. If you want more conditioning you'll probaby need a higher % of Olive oil.

If you play around in Soap Calc, perhaps consider reducing the tallow and up the olive and coconut.

What about something like this?

Tallow 25%
Olive 40%
Coconut 25%
Cocoa Butter 5%
Almond 5%

are their any spread sheets/sites that are free like soapcalc that take discount into consideration?

Latest posts

Back