Hate it when this happens!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Last night I thought I was making Dark Temptation by Essentials of Catalina. It is one of my fo's that has to be hp'ed, and I am sure we all know how I hate to hp. I kept thinking it smelled different than the last batch. This I did not color because I knew it would go dark. Fast forward just realized I hp'ed Kmquat & Red Current by Essentials by Catalina. :-x humbug, probably did not need to hp it and could have at least colored it plus it was made with my formula for mens soap not womens. Now we shall really test the theory that a soap will sell for fragrance not looks. I have a beige Kumquat & Red Current. What is interesting is I did not like it out of the bottle, but it smells delicious. Now I am heading to make Dark Temptation

I'm so glad to hear that I'm not the only person to pick up the wrong FO and add it to a batch. I'm sorry it happened to you but it does make me feel better about myself. :lol:

I'd like to hear if color doesn't make a difference on how it sells.

Will let you know Hazel. I now have applesauce sitting in a bucket (Dark Temptation), that darn fragrance is a real heater. Hopefully it will gel enough I can beat it back into submission without having to hp. It is one of those days I guess, my hardwood plumeria decided I needed soap on a stick so it had to go in the oven. Please take the gremlins for awhile

I, myself am coming out of a dark spell, and just caught myself before using my new strawberry fo in cp. Would have been a huge waste. Thankfully, I caught it in time, and there are a lot of excellent quality melt and pours I can use this with. But it's only a matter of time before I do that same thing. This forum is a nice place to come when you feel so all alone:-(

Thanks Hazel, guess I am stuck with them until they decide to leave. Going to make one more batch of Hardwood Plumeria with a higher liquid content. Dark Temptation is already out of the mold and cut. A bit rustic looking but not bad. Cheryl, does your strawberry not work in cp? I have a nice Strawberry Cream that does although it does turn a med brown. Unfortunetly strawberry does not sell well for me and I love the fragrance. Mine is from California Candle Supply and is body safe. Yes it nice to have a friendly forum to turn to.

Cheryl - I wondered the same thing about your strawberry FO not being stable in CP. Does it morph or fade?

BTW, I'd love to find a strawberry which was realistic smelling and didn't discolor. A town not too far from where I live has a Strawberry Festival and I think strawberry scented soap would sell well if it wasn't brown. :lol:

This strawberry supposedly disappears in cp. Soap Queen uses it with strawberry purée, raspberry and another fo. I'll save myself the disappointment and use the shea mp that my kids like. I'm not brave enough to start mixing fruit in my soap, but it sounds like it would be something for you to try.

Not long ago I bunged up a soap I had planned out by grabbing the Sweet Wood FO (moderate acceleration) instead of the Wildwood FO (light acceleration). I was soaping pretty hot too, because I thought I had plenty of time. Ended up not having time enough! My planned multi-coloured whispy swirl soap ended being a chunky scoop and gloop soap instead. Bah!

I use strawberry fields from Peak and the scent sticks wonderfully. I toss in a teaspoon of poppy seeds and layer pink over white in cold process. It looks and smells yummy. I sell a bit of it.

I have tried a couple of Strawberry fo's and I am convinced that it's just NOT possible to make strawberry scented cp soap!
The first one I used a Strawberry fo from Cierra candles, I used Soap Queens method of adding mashed fresh strawberries into the batch for it to turn out to be a brown mess and the scent was gone the same day.

I tried another: Strawberries and Cream from Peak and OMG! It instantly turned the batch solid almost like candle wax (but it smelled great!) LOL. I ended up having to literally chisel it out of my pot and into the garbage.

Is there no way to make a Strawberry cp soap? Or am I only to make it in M&P?

I just came across some Strawberry Fields from Peak and there isn't any mention of discoloration in the reviews. I'm going to be making soap tomorrow. I'll use it in one of the batches and let you know if it discolors or accelerates.

I just came across some Strawberry Fields from Peak and there isn't any mention of discoloration in the reviews. I'm going to be making soap tomorrow. I'll use it in one of the batches and let you know if it discolors or accelerates.

Please do let us know I'm on the hunt for one for so long

I will but it may take a few days. I can say it riced on me. I had to beat it into submission.

Earlier in the day, I had another batch which also riced. It's been so long since I've experienced ricing and then to have two in one day! Today was not a good soaping day. I hope the gremlins are gone by next weekend.

I don't know how I missed kdaniels8811's post about Strawberry Fields. I'm sorry about that! If I had seen it, I would have realized there isn't discoloration with this FO.

@ kdaniels8811 - Did this FO heat up for you? I had it rice and get hot when I used it.

Anyway, it's been 6 days and the soap is still pink. Kind of a dull pink but it was a trial batch so I'll know better next time. It smells really good to me.

Back