Has anyone added ingredients to soap that has been salted out?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is very timely! I had planned to try salting out for the first time this weekend. I have tried re-batching but I just can't seem to get a good consistency and all my soap is a horrible gray color (I went through a black and white phase).

I figured if salting out didn't work, I'd go buy some wool roving and make felted soap balls. That way you can't see the ugly soap. I only hope that salting out at least removes the FO.

I would do felted soap before salting out. Especially if the only problem is the appearance of the soap... Unless you really just want to experience the process for yourself.

It should remove the scent. And it should remove most if not all of the color too, although JayJay is right that it might take more than one salting-out to remove some colorants.

Just for general info --

Salting-out does not remove superfat. That said, there is another step you can do before salting-out to remove some or all of the superfat. This is "boiling" the soap (gentle, careful simmering, actually) with a bit of excess lye. Don't try to combine this boiling with salting-out -- that will be nothing but trouble. If you do "boil" the soap with additional lye, you can then add fresh superfat later.

Salting-out will not make a badly formulated recipe become magically better. If you didn't like how the soap cleans, lathers, lasts, or feels on the skin, then you probably won't like it any better after salting out.

Salting-out will it not change the basic nature of the soap. A soap that is too cleansing before salting out will be too cleansing afterward afterward. A bath soap will not become a laundry soap.

Salting-out is a pain in the b*tt -- more so than rebatching. You have to pay strict attention to the process, and it takes a fair bit of time to do. It's not something to leap into, unless you have a big pile of scrap to deal with or you just want to experience the experience. :)

Latest posts

Back