Hand painted soaps

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thefarmerdaughter

Reaction score
Does any one have any experience with these? I've seen them on etsy. I can't paint, to save my life! But I have some friends who can. I would supply the soap, they would do the art work. What I have in mind would be for decorative purpose only, and labeled as such. (sounds trite? I know) But they are for a benefit auction, in the arts and crafts section. Any tips for me, or the artists would be appreciated.

Your post has perfect timing! I was just wondering about how to paint soaps myself. I found some decorative silicone soap molds online that I'd like to get but I don't know how I would go about painting them. Do I ”paint" the decorated parts of the mold with colored soap before pouring in the base batter? Or do I paint them with something else after I unmold the loaf?

I used to paint MP soap, but that was with handmade soap paint. But I did learn that giving the soap a light dusting of arrowroot powder before painting gave the paint something to stick to. I also lightly dusted the painted soaps with arrowroot powder before wrapping so the clear wrapping didn't slide and mess up the painting.

SoapAddict415 said:
Your post has perfect timing! I was just wondering about how to paint soaps myself. I found some decorative silicone soap molds online that I'd like to get but I don't know how I would go about painting them. Do I ”paint" the decorated parts of the mold with colored soap before pouring in the base batter? Or do I paint them with something else after I unmold the loaf?

I'd paint the mold before pouring, it's easier to clean up if you make a mistake while painting.

What we are considering is a free hand design, on a "blank" bar of soap. What little info I found states paint wont stick on oily soap so I was not going to super fat. I've also noticed that my tallow soaps are extremely hard, and porous. Almost like ceramic, was hoping that will help with the adhesion of paint to soap.

I paint some of my CP soaps with homemade soap paints that I make out of shimmery body-safe mica mixed with a little vegetable glycerin. I don't paint designs over the whole soap freehand or anything as involved as that, but just where I've stamped it with one of those decorative MilkyWay soap stamps- the kind of stamp that leaves a raised impression on the soap inside of a recessed border or frame. My favorite soap to do this to is my milk and honey soap that gets stamped with MW's bee stamp. I paint the raised bee impression with gold mica 'paint' so that the bee stands out. It looks really classy and high-end when done. It takes a few days to dry, though, so if you try this method out, don't expect to package your soap the same day as you paint it.

IrishLass :)

Latest posts

Back