Green Tea in Goat Milk soap??

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LondonsMum

Reaction score
Has anyone used green tea while making goat milk soap? I'm thinking of using green tea to dilute a can of concentrated goat milk. Anyone have success doing this before?

yes, but dont expect it to stay green. :) you might get a tanish green but not the pretty green tea green.

I used Dragon Pearl Jasmine green tea (brewed) instead of water for a soap recently (no milk) and the tea oxidized...the soap was slate color (nearly black) when it was done...You might get a similar result.

I was thinking I'd like to get some powdered sencha (really green) tea sometime and add that to a rebatch soap so it might retain the color.

I'm not too concerned about the color. I'm mainly trying to stretch my condensed goat milk (instead of adding just water to it) while adding something beneficial to the mix. I, personally, love green tea and thought it would add some benefits to the skin if I used it in a batch of my goat milk soap.

The guy that owns our local tea shop said he'd suggest staying away from powdered Sencha and especially matcha, because they both stain something awful. I don't have personal experience with the powders myself...just passing on the advice. I HAVE used white tea, brewed really strong, for the liquid in soap, and although it turned brown when the lye hit it, the brown was completely gone by the time the soap was cool.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

It's the one on the left, but this is a lousy pic light-wise. It's a pale translucent green (a few drops of Apple Pop). I have no idea why the end color of the soap wasn't affected, unless there's just not as much chlorophyll or whatever in white tea since it's the top buds and not full leaves. I plan on making it again....I really liked it.

I often add a tea bag (tried various ones) to my lye water. You can see approximately what color you'll get from there. I like adding chai tea to unscented soap, cuz it takes away the strong oily smell. I'm sure you can do this (add tea to lye water) and add your milk to the soap mixture at trace. Good luck and please report back.

>suggest staying away from powdered Sencha and especially matcha, because they both stain something awful

Matcha...I think that's what I was thinking of--the tea ceremony powder?

Staining in a tea cup is what he's talking about, right? I'm not sure that would necessarily stain a sink after being soaped. I intend to try it on a small batch someday when I run across the Matcha...I'm not going to order online for just a couple of teaspoons of powder.

Thanks for the input!

I think he was referring to the staining of his hands just from handling it, also. He said he'd expect matcha to stain in the shower, especially washcloths. Won't know till you try it.

Haven't added the green tea to my soap yet - but I probably will do it today. I had a great experience yesterday of just diluting the condensed goat milk with an equal part of bottled water - color came out gorgeous! So today I'm planning to make a strong batch of green tea and use that to dilute the goat milk. I'll post a photo once I get them out of the molds this weekend.

Latest posts

Back