Granite Soap...Yeah, let's call it that!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adoptapitbull

Reaction score
First whipped soap experience turned out to be a teeny bit of a disaster. Turns out my cold coconut oil didn't whip fully and there were tiny chunks of it left in the soap. Knew I had to try to rebatch it. I placed the cut soap in a bowl and set the oven on low to melt it just enough to whip again. The coconut oil chunks melted rather quickly, but I had to wait for the rest of the soap to be soft enough to whip again, maybe an hour or so. Did a quick whip with my mixer, just enough to make it pourabe.....and this is what came out!

I call it Granite soap. Looks like granite counter top. Kinda also looks like the homemade meat loaf made from all the nasty left over parts of the animal....but let's not go with that ;) I like granite better!

I used my favorite FO that behaves well in CP, and it smells to die for. And, just like I tell some of you and try to convince myself...I'll act like it was supposed to be this way ;) My husband doesn't care for the look, but I kinda do. It's different, and I like being different.

029.jpg

028.jpg

Two different camera settings mean two different looks. It looks more like the second pic in real life.

Glad you could save the batch and I'm with you--it's a wonderful granite--just tell people you ment to do that! One of my personal favorite soaps to use is one that was a rebatch from overheating--not the most beautiful, but a mild bubbly bar that smells great. Sometimes you just got to go with the flow! 8)

I love when my soaps turn out like this. When they do, I roll into a rock shape and it really DOES look like a granite rock! This color is really beautiful and I would love it by my sink!

Granite is a great look and it's amazing how some thing we didn't plan can turn out so great! I love 'different' looking soap!

I might attempt it again with different colors....not sure how, though, besides doing exactly what I did before which was a pain in the neck!

My teen boys don't really care about my soaps, but when they see a rock near the sink to wash with - well that's pretty cool! :D

Thanks, guys, I feel good about it! It is also hard as rock already (made the initial whipped batch Weds eve, rebatched yesterday eve). I'm looking forward to seeing what it looks like in a few days....that purple is known to look tan at first, and purple later. I used purple, blue, and orange dyes...the orange didn't show through much, but whatever. Still looks neat!

I think it looks really cool. If I saw the soap without reading your post, I would think, wow, how did she get it to look like that?

looks great!

just don't try it with red oxide.....it turns out lookin like salami....just sayin.... don't ask me how I know :oops:

I'll cast my vote for "Granite Soap" as opposed to "Nasty Meatloaf-Looking Soap". :D

It's pretty cool looking, whatever you call it.

Anita

adoptapitbull said:
I might attempt it again with different colors....not sure how, though, besides doing exactly what I did before which was a pain in the neck!

The sad part is, your next batch will work out perfectly and you won't have to rebatch!! Happens to me when I try to recreate something.

I love it. If you do find a way to get that look without the headache, let us know.

My first experience with whipped soap yielded the same results you had. Little chunks of coconut oil that ended up turning yellow and ugly. Now, I melt all my oils together and then refrigerate overnight. No more CO chunks!

JackiK...wish I had your common sense! Melting them together then refrigerating is such a "duh!" idea....and yet I didn't think of it! Oh well, guess you can't have everything! lol

Latest posts

Back