gelling, insulating question

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Peeps, I'm a geller and I did something different yesterday and could use some feedback. My normal routine is to bury my molds under a pile of towels. In winter I add a heating pad for 2 hours.
Yesterday I used a tall and skinny mold. It normally bows out after pouring. So I put two 2.5 gallon water jugs alongside each side. The jugs look like
1699732280962.png
I piled towels all around and on top, burying the mold and two jugs. Because I suspected stearic spots, I turned on the heating pad for 4 hours. When I unmolded today, my soap is chock full of stearic spots. So I'm left wondering if I didn't have adequate insulation to retain the heat. Any ideas? Thanks,

Did it appear to have gelled? What temp did you soap at? I use a lot of hard oils and my steric number is pretty high so I always soap between 105 and 110°
Yeah, it looks gelled. In general I soap when lye solution and oils are warm to the touch. And for the challenge, I wanted cooler temps on purpose to have time to swirl. Maybe I should start soaping at a higher temp during these cold months.

The best advice I've received (here on SMF, of course) for reducing/eliminating stearic spots was to heat my oils to 160F. As long as I hit that number, I can let them cool down to 90F and still won't get stearic spots. I gel my soaps on a heating pad, as well.

ETA: that did require me to take temps at first. But now I know that 2.5 minutes in the microwave heats 1000g of my MB oils to160F in the colder months, and 170F in the warmer months.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back