Goats milk soap newb qestions

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

babysoap

Reaction score
I want to make goats milk soap. I've researched the method and feel comfortable with that. I also want to add some almond oil at trace but I'm not sure how much to add.

Also how is this for a recipe:
Castor oil-5%
Coconut oil-15%
Palm oil-20%
Olive oil-60%

Many Thanks

Did you figure the extra almond oil into your recipe? It should be part of your 100%.

I still haven't work it out. I was wondering if I could add a bit at trace so that it doesn't go through saponification. Would that matter? Is the term for that superfat?

No, the lye does not discriminate. It's thought that after the cook, any oil you add won't saponify - but I don't believe that. What I do is to take a lye discount at the start. They are two terms for basically the same thing. Figure out how much NOAH you need to fully saponify your oils, then discount that by at least 5%.

Are you doing hot process?

Thanks I'm doing cold process unscented. Also is it better to use half milk-half water or would I be ok using 100% milk.

100% milk is OK if you freeze it and add the lye to the frozen milk a little at a time. Most people weigh out the milk and freeze flat in a baggie or freeze it in an ice cube tray. Thay makes it easier to break up.

Thanks. I have already done just that. I bought a litre at the supermarket.

Also should I wrap it up and allow it to gel or put it in the freezer. Its been cold in Melbourne I could even leave it out overnight.

I know this is a couple of weeks old, but since you didn't get an answer, I would not wrap a milk soap. I just leave mine out on the counter in individual silicone molds. For a loaf mold you may want to put it in the fridge. If you are new to making soap I would try the 50% water 50% milk method.

I gel my milk soaps. Just keep an eye on them because they have a tendency to heat up too much. If you DON'T gel, you'll get lighter colored soaps - usually :)

Latest posts

Back