Fruit Plups in CP Soaps

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

megh55555

Reaction score
Hi

Im new to soap making and would like to know if anyone has experimented with Fruit pulps. I have read many do use fruit pulps successfully in their soap recipes.

Does the fruit pulp go bad / smelly after a few weeks? If so is there a safe technique to use fruit pulps in soaps the correct way such that they dont go bad?

megh55555 said:
Hi

Im new to soap making and would like to know if anyone has experimented with Fruit pulps. I have read many do use fruit pulps successfully in their soap recipes.

Yes- you can use pulps. I myself have used pear puree, as well as avocado puree (I love avocado puree and I make it often). And I know of others who use cucumber puree, apple puree, carrot puree, etc....

megh55555 said:
Does the fruit pulp go bad / smelly after a few weeks? If so is there a safe technique to use fruit pulps in soaps the correct way such that they dont go bad?

The trick to using pulps is to puree them as fine as you can get them. In other words- you don't want the pulp to be chunky, because chunks = moldy soap down the road. You want as much surface area of the pulp to come into contact with the lye because the lye acts as a sort of preservative- so the finer it is pureed, the better. Finely pureed pulp last forever in soap without issue. I have sample bars of my avocado soap going on 4 years old or so and they look as fresh as the day I made them. My pear soap is about 8 months old and holding up beautifully.

IrishLass :)

[Edited to add that I like to use no more than 1 tablespoon of puree per pound of oils.]

Irishlass can I ask what affect the avocado has on your soap, does it make it more gentle etc. Saw some avacado's here the other day 10 for $5.00 so now would be a good time to try some. Do you reduce your SF to allow for the natural oils of the avacado's?

It adds color for one, and it also adds a certain creamy depth or oomph to my lather. I mainly use a 5% S/F, but if I'm also using 100% goat milk as my liquid amount in the same batch, I'll lower my S/F to 3%.

IrishLass said:
It adds color for one, and it also adds a certain creamy depth or oomph to my lather. I mainly use a 5% S/F, but if I'm also using 100% goat milk as my liquid amount in the same batch, I'll lower my S/F to 3%.

Wow, this sounds so good, goat milk and avocado together in a soap. What color does that give you? pea green? sage green? or tan?

A beautiful sage green. That's with also adding 1/16 tsp of chromium hydroxide green and 1/2 tsp of pearlized mica ppo to my batch. The color looks like the shade of green on the pic of the paper plate in the link below:

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=sag ... B8&first=0

If I didn't add the titch of coloring to it that I do, my soap probably would turn tan over time, but it stays green for me with the addition of the colorants.

Oh man! That sounds really good, now I want to try avocado soap.
**** you people, my list keeps getting longer.
I love avocado!!

Thanks all for those suggestions . Very helpful indeed !! Im trying orange pulp this weekend :) Il update you on know how it went . Cheers!

zajcek said:
Very beatiful color. Can you tell us, what is the color of soap with pear?

My pear soap was pretty drab looking. It was an experimental batch and I added no color to it. The fragrance that I used (Tart Pear from Bear Labs) turned my soap to a light/medium tan color, but the cool thing was that it turned out to be somewhat exfoliating, since pear puree is kind of rough or sandy in texture.

Back