First soap results

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jayo2009

Reaction score
So my first soap I think over mixed it a little bit. I didn't think it was going to set up right but I was relieved when I cut it. Now its the waiting game :mrgreen: while I've been waiting, I've been working 60+ hrs. I'm exhausted. I ordered some more supplies for my next trial batch. Coconut lemongrass fragrance. I seen 40/60 of coconut oil and cocoa butter has good properties together. Hopefully I don't overmix it this time.

Congrats on your first soap! It's common to overmix, but with a little discipline and knowledge you can cure that. Your recipe isn't very balanced, so you might fish around the forum to find something better. A simple starter is 50% of lard, tallow or palm, ~20% coconut oil (more may be too harsh on skin), and the bulk in a soft oil like olive. Good luck in your soapy adventures!

Congrats on your first soap! It's common to overmix, but with a little discipline and knowledge you can cure that. Your recipe isn't very balanced, so you might fish around the forum to find something better. A simple starter is 50% of lard, tallow or palm, ~20% coconut oil (more may be too harsh on skin), and the bulk in a soft oil like olive. Good luck in your soapy adventures!

Now I have a question regarding lard, could that also be substituted for shortening (crisco) or would that not be advisable at 50%. I've thought about lard but as much as possible i m not sure how my potential customers would react to me using lard. I'm willing to try it by any means

Now I have a question regarding lard, could that also be substituted for shortening (crisco) or would that not be advisable at 50%. I've thought about lard but as much as possible i m not sure how my potential customers would react to me using lard. I'm willing to try it by any means

IMO lard s a great substitute for palm oil, and makes an awesome hard bar.

I understand there is a debate on the Crisco, as the new one had tallow, and the old one is vegetable., or something like that. I saw a recipe online that used just Crisco. But if you run it through the calculator you will not get a very bubbly bar.

crisco.jpg

Are you looking to lower your costs? Then I think lard would be the best. Many people here have posted amazing recipes, just do a search. I know one was posted in the May Challenge that was really good.

If you want an all veggie soap, I have done coconut and olive oil soap (40/60), that has good lather.

New Crisco (name brand) has palm and soy, and they are hydrogenated so there are fewer worries about DOS. (Plus is has some antioxidants along for the ride, too.) I've used it up to half in my daughter's vegan soaps, and it does an acceptable job.

If you have Walmart's near you, my favorite shortening is Great Value shortening with the fried chicken on the label. It's beef tallow and palm, and is a fat found in both Soapcalc and Soapee. (The GV 100% vegetable with the pie on the label is soy and palm - close to new Crisco.)

Latest posts

Back