60/40 coconut oil ratio experiment

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jussoaper

Reaction score
Advanced beginner soaper here. After reading about 100% coconut oil recipes that use a 30% lye discount to balance the drying qualities of the oil, about 6 months ago, I decided to experiment with a recipe using 60% coconut oil, 40% sweet almond oil and a ~25% lye discount.

0501242010b.jpg

I let the bars cure for a bit longer than 3 months. It's definitely the most cleansing soap I've made, but I haven't noticed any dryness of skin after using this soap as a hand bar for over a month and a body bar for 2 weeks, even compared to a standard ratio palm/coconut/canola recipe I made with a 1% lye discount. Maybe a temporary tight feeling in the skin a few hours after showering. The bars are fairly hard, are lasting pretty long and lather very nicely. The bars themselves feel vaguely greasy when dry but don't leave your skin greasy after use. One big concern is shelf stability.

Do any of you have thoughts on this recipe or experience making similar ones? Any suggestions for better ways to gauge how drying is my soap, rather than simply using it on myself? I really don't know what to think because I broke a few rules in this recipe and my first reaction is that it turned out much better than anticipated.

Hi Jussoaper! I have a similar soap in my repertoire- 70% coconut oil and 30% mango butter with a 15% superfat. It's not drying to me or to those in my immediate family, but much depends on ones skin type. I know it would certainly be drying to others with a more sensitive skin-type for sure. As far as shelf stability goes, mine have stayed quite lovely forever and a day.

IrishLass :)

Back