First Salt Bars & First Funnel Soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rubyslippers

Reaction score
Finally made salt bars and am so anxious to use them. Had read so much about the quick set up so I cut them 1 hour after pouring into the mold. Wouldn't recommend that to anyone. Used a crinkle cutter (also not recommended) and they cut like butter but when I tried to take the crinkle cutter away from each bar, it distorted the crinkle cut so they look kind of fuzzy and the cut isn't well defined. Next time, I will let them set a little longer before I try to cut and will make straight cuts. It was a good learning lesson.

Also made my first funnel bars and that was really fun. I will try that again soon.

Pictures of my weekend soaps are posted in the gallery!

Sounds very nice . I find that dipping the cutter blade in warm water for each slice helps "sometimes" with soft soap . Off to the gallery !

Today - was a humid 30 Degree Celsius Spring day (I live 5 minutes away from the ocean) - my wonderful salt bars that were drying up so well, now have little beads of moisture on them everywhere!!!!

I am not sure whether these will ever be sellable as it only gets hotter and more humid from this point on to about May. I dont think weeping bars will ever be a seller. DOH!!!

My little advice is if you are doing salt bars you might wanna cure them in a dry, dry, dry place or yours might befall the same fate as mine!!!

But you may not live this close to the ocean and it may not be going into summer there, in that case - they were doing fine up until now!

I know how you feel about wanting to try them. When I first made mine, I wanted to try that night but I waited. They are so nice to shave with.

Kitn said:
Sounds very nice . I find that dipping the cutter blade in warm water for each slice helps "sometimes" with soft soap . Off to the gallery !

Great tip Kitn - hope I can remember it :wink:

Latest posts

Back