FDA Warning Letter to doTerra

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You are entitled to your opinion. I too have faced in two close cases who chose to go the holistic way and in turn spend a boatload of money and passed away much quicker than with just minimal healthcare. I find it liable to those who prey on others weaknesses. I think one of the reasons the FDA jumped on them is because they were making claims that their stuff would cure or prevent ebola. I believe in holistic practices to a point. Primarily spiritual. I also feel that if a person chooses to take risks that if fine but don't push it onto others. YL and doTerra were predatory in their sales pitches. I believe we are living longer due to healthcare being available and taking better care of ourselves. I don't see EO's curing cancer or diabetes or other terminal illnesses. Yes, the pharmaceutical companies are raping people on the cost of the medications and healthcare cost. I've spent the last 36 year in the medical field. I too am happy to see the FDA get on these companies and their representatives.

I dont know if you were responding to me or not. I blended two different sub-subjects. I agree with you. there are soem things that work and many are folk remedies. Thx for your posts, love em!

eo's really do need to be regulated!! :!:

With regualtion comes overregulation and fee upon fee. The best start is education and a chart showing safe usage. Max safe usages, ranges, what is photoxicity, etc. etc. If people knew the actual properties of EOs, the pseudo science bubble would not exist.

'YARREADY KNOW. NARRMEAN. :p

With rtegualtion comes fees and overregulation. the best start is education. Max safe usages, what is photoxicity, etc. etc.

'YARREADY KNOW. NARRMEAN. :p

exactly. and with regulation comes the fda breathing down the necks of everyone who uses eo's. NO THANK YOU. Im very concerned actually that there will be enough support of this (this being eo regulation) -despite how much they needed this stomping- that we may be headed for just that.

and goji, yes, very careful wording is key!

pm me about the milk thistle...

I'm glad they are getting slapped. "Wellness Advocates" are Tupperware ladies with a new bag of treats. I don't know why anyone would take medical advice from a direct sales person. "Save your co-pay - diagnose yourself!".

Ladies common sense is needed when using EO they must be diluted and I do not agree with thousand people who say some can be put on children undiluted. You can go ahead and use them for children over 12 but diluted. Mothers who use them on children without enough knowledge, base on what they they find on internet. They should not treat their children. No one is sure if the EO are good and undiluted, or pure. How you suppose to check it up?
I use them only as a help with the salves then I base on real herbs I pick up or grow myself. Sure you can go ahead and add some to soup especially if there is some grease. Why the heck add Lemon Eo to soup if you can add just real lemon? I still can not believe in some of the claims.
Every second person on internet behave like trained herbalist.:(
Very often the socalled diy meds are wrong. I would not be here if it was not big pharma either.

Last edited:
exactly. and with regulation comes the fda breathing down the necks of everyone who uses eo's. NO THANK YOU. Im very concerned actually that there will be enough support of this (this being eo regulation) -despite how much they needed this stomping- that we may be headed for just that.

and goji, yes, very careful wording is key!

pm me about the milk thistle...

Tried to pm, box full :think:

I'm glad they are getting slapped. "Wellness Advocates" are Tupperware ladies with a new bag of treats. I don't know why anyone would take medical advice from a direct sales person. "Save your co-pay - diagnose yourself!".

More times than not it equates to having Bill clinton operate on your colon -word of mouth treatments are no bueno.

Ladies common sense is needed when using EO they must be diluted and I do not agree with thousand people who say some can be put on children undiluted. You can go ahead and use them for children over 12 but diluted. Mothers who use them on children without enough knowledge, base on what they they find on internet. They should not treat their children. No one is sure if the EO are good and undiluted, or pure. How you suppose to check it up?
I use them only as a help with the salves then I base on real herbs I pick up or grow myself. Sure you can go ahead and add some to soup especially if there is some grease. Why the heck add Lemon Eo to soup if you can add just real lemon? I still can not believe in some of the claims.
Every second person on internet behave like trained herbalist.:(
Very often the socalled diy meds are wrong. I would not be here if it was not big pharma either.

^ True stuff.

Dilutions! Educate ourselves! Research not opinions/advice.

Last edited:
My mom would not still be here at 88 if it was not for the big pharmaceutical company that came up with a medication over 10 yrs ago, very very expensive then, that still keeps her alive today. Believe me eo's would have not kept her here today. I am tickled to see FDA came down on them. There was a Doterra rep at one of my markets. She, of course, had the cureall for everything. Sadly though the fda cannot regulate the small farmer market sellers that make claims. I see this in every market I attend.

The FDA is a bunch of thugs using threat of law to limit freedom of speech. To me the point is not whether or not these EO's do what the salesmen claim they do. The point is freedom of choice. I want to be free to look into these claims made and use the product if I feel so inclined. Limiting the freedom to say "this EO cures ringworm!" keeps people from that choice. The banned substances and processes to make a drug only favor big business, nothing is there to help small businesses. It passes and everyone thinks it's fine for "consumer safety" but it's at the cost of freedom.

NO new regulations need to be created, we are over regulated! If an aroma therapy organization wants to create a certification that would be fantastic! A voluntary stamp of approval showing your EO is up to the standard of that organization would be great. The FDA programs should be a voluntary certification as well, not one of force.

I would love for doterra and young living to fight back. If enough people voiced disapproval we can gain back freedoms lost. And no, I don't work for or use products from either of these companies. I just want a less forceful and powerful central government and people to be liberated. We have all been forced into the role of helpless victims and need our big all-knowing government to protect us.

Great post!

Here in the uk we have an independent organisation all the aromatherapy trade council. Companies pay a yearly subscription to be members of them. They make sure companies are marking their products correctly etc and also do test on eo's to monitor purity etc.

I'm going to have to disagree. I think consumers have a right to demand accountability for the claims made by companies... any company big or small. Self-regulation is a laughable failure. Take a look at industrial wreckage caused by a lack of regulation during the 1800's or currently in developing nations.

Regulations against lying is not a limitation of freedom. The shysters looking to make a buck off of sick people's hopes and fears are the real evil.

I do understand that regulations do place a burden of proof on the claimants. Personally, I think this is a good thing - a necessary thing... especially for serious claims of treatments for deadly diseases.

Say a shampoo bar cures dandruff, fine. I probably won't believe it anyway, but it won't kill me if I use it instead of going to see an actual medical doctor. Tell me lies about how vaccines cause illness and EOs cure cancer. If I believe it and kill an immune-comprised kid with polio or myself with breast cancer with that bad market advice, the blood isn't on my hands for not researching enough. The blood is on their hands and money for damages should come from their pocket. So they are run out of business and can never hurt anyone again. The trouble is, reactionary responses still end up with a dead baby and a dead me.

Regulation exists for a very good reason. We have to rely on some entity like the FDA to enforce those regulations. It is part of living together in a community.

/end rant

I'm going to have to disagree. I think consumers have a right to demand accountability for the claims made by companies... any company big or small. Self-regulation is a laughable failure. Take a look at industrial wreckage caused by a lack of regulation during the 1800's or currently in developing nations.

Regulations against lying is not a limitation of freedom. The shysters looking to make a buck off of sick people's hopes and fears are the real evil.

I do understand that regulations do place a burden of proof on the claimants. Personally, I think this is a good thing - a necessary thing... especially for serious claims of treatments for deadly diseases.

Say a shampoo bar cures dandruff, fine. I probably won't believe it anyway, but it won't kill me if I use it instead of going to see an actual medical doctor. Tell me lies about how vaccines cause illness and EOs cure cancer. If I believe it and kill an immune-comprised kid with polio or myself with breast cancer with that bad market advice, the blood isn't on my hands for not researching enough. The blood is on their hands and money for damages should come from their pocket. So they are run out of business and can never hurt anyone again. The trouble is, reactionary responses still end up with a dead baby and a dead me.

Regulation exists for a very good reason. We have to rely on some entity like the FDA to enforce those regulations. It is part of living together in a community.

/end rant

This is exactly how I feel. I don't think EO's need to be regulated but I do think those making false claims and promises need to be held accountable. I

Earthen-step, i agree with everything you are saying except that i think salespeople should be stomped on if they make such outrageous claims as their eo's cure ebola or the such, maybe not by the fda but stomped on by someone. There is a huge difference between an herb and -therefore the oil- that has been used successfully for eons for a specific thing even without 'scientific proof', and a newly recognized disease and a bs claim. this is just an example of course and if doterra or yl has any evidence that their eo's -even if they do posses antiviral properties- can treat ebola than ill eat my hat and buy their oils. i think they are outrageous and giving so many others a bad rap in the eyes of customers and distrusted opinions because of it that they needed a good stomping. Mostly because by them doing this, they are giving more fodder for attack of themselves and then potentially and probably everyone downstream from them.

I'm really tired and my brain is shutting off. Just a couple points before I go to sleep. I think false claims can ruin a company in time. Especially these days with such easily found information at our fingertips. Do a search for "doterra medical claims" and see how much trust people have in it. This also applies to the 1800's comments and self regulation. The horrible practices were used as a tool to drive fear into us to introduce new regulations. If we had trusted in natural law I think we would have a much better society today. Instead we pushed further and further into political law and into this over-regulated mess we have today.

Of course this is all opinion and the best society to me might not be what many of you would enjoy.

I'm really tired and my brain is shutting off. Just a couple points before I go to sleep. I think false claims can ruin a company in time. Especially these days with such easily found information at our fingertips. Do a search for "doterra medical claims" and see how much trust people have in it. This also applies to the 1800's comments and self regulation. The horrible practices were used as a tool to drive fear into us to introduce new regulations. If we had trusted in natural law I think we would have a much better society today. Instead we pushed further and further into political law and into this over-regulated mess we have today.

Of course this is all opinion and the best society to me might not be what many of you would enjoy.

I think that might be fact as opposed to opinion... :)

Latest posts

Back