Essential Depot food grade or tech grade lye

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Soapy Gurl

Reaction score
I am looking at their lye and food grade says micro beads and the tech grade says beads. Has anyone used both of these? I am looking for larger pieces of lye. The micro beads stick to everything, like static cling. I didn't know if the beads where any different.

Soapy Gurl said:
I am looking at their lye and food grade says micro beads and the tech grade says beads. Has anyone used both of these? I am looking for larger pieces of lye. The micro beads stick to everything, like static cling. I didn't know if the beads where any different.

I exclusively use EssentialDepot's food grade lye. It is the purest, best packaged, and most inexpensive lye you can order on the internet. My soaps turn out incredible and I wouldn't dream of giving my business to another company. Fast shipping, great product, and great customer service.

I never had any issue with the "micro-beads". In my limited knowledge, the smaller the lye particles, the quicker it breaks down in water. With proper lye handling, you shouldn't need to worry about the "micro breads sticking to everything"

I use certified lye...great shipping and not too expensive and no forms to fill out

yes...here is the link if you want to compare prices...I found them through Anne Watsons book. Ive ordered a couple times and fast delivery and no problems...Sometimes you can increase quantity at no additional shipping charge, so I just order as much as I can for the one shipping cost...just try the shipping estimate for amounts and you will see what I mean.

http://www.certified-lye.com/

I keep bounce sheets handy whenever I handle lye. I use them as grips to open the bottle, I swipe down the outside, and the mouth of the container before pouring and also the container I pour into. This reduces the static to nothing. No problem with food grade lye now.

I've heard people say they get static, but Ive never had any trouble with it at all, and I live in a dry climate. Now I know what to do if I ever do have that happen tho.

Soapy Gurl said:
I get my lye from Essential Depot (I buy tech grade) and it has not been static or sticky at all. I used to buy from ACE Hardware and it would sometimes jump all over the place. Not so with ED. And I don't need to use dryer sheets, either.

debbism - Thanks for the dryer sheet tip, I hate getting those little beads all over. I ended up at ACE Hardware because I wanted to make soap and couldn't wait for a shipment. I think I will try the tech kind from Essential Depot, since they don't list it as micro beads...

Latest posts

Back