MB Lye help

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I’m a few batches in on making a 50/50 MB lye with AVJ as the liquid. I did just switch from BB to Essential Depot, so now it’s tiny beads instead of the flakes I was used to.

I guess I didn’t mix it well enough before it settled and I ended up with a thin but very solid disk of lye at the bottom. I tried to carefully poke it to break it up, did a crazy amount of stirring, but some of it is still solid.

Is there any saving it?

I let my MB lye container sit in cool water to bring the temp down, but not until after I’m sure the lye has dissolved. I use the ED beads and haven’t had any problems. Here’s a description of exactly what I do in case it’s helpful. I mix and store my MB lye in a heavy duty jug from Mrs. Meyers laundry detergent. After pouring the NaOH beads slowly into the water in the jug through a funnel, I very loosely cap the jug and then gently swirl the water and lye around in the jug to make sure that everything is at least mixed. I swirl every minute or so for the first five minutes until I’m sure the beads are fully dissolved. I use a dish towel around the jug handle so I’m insulated from the heat and keep all of this swirling activity within the confines of a large dish pan in my kitchen sink. When I‘m done swirling, I let the very loosely capped jug cool down for maybe 15 minutes more before I add cool water to the dishpan. In the past I would add an ice pack to the water to cool things down even faster, but I don’t bother with that now. If I need lye quickly, I measure out what I need from the hot/warm MB into a small container, cover that and set it in a bath of cold water to cool it down to room temp. I can’t recall having any issues or the NaOH beads not dissolving with this method. Mixing in the jug is nice because I never have any fumes. I turn the cap just enough to keep it on the jug, but not enough to seal the jug or build up any pressure. I don’t tighten the cap until the lye has cooled down. I have two jugs that are both a year or more old and it’s probably time to get new ones, but both still look fine on close inspection. The jugs are probably 2L, but I never make more than 1400 g of MB and usually I make 1200 g, which fills the container up about halfway.

@dmcgee5034 your lye solution probably became too cold from the ice bath. Around 65F, NaOH in a 50-50 solution will precipitate out of solution and form those lye chunks. Ask me how I know. 😆

So if you want to use ice or cold water to cool it down in the future, just be sure that the solution doesn't dip below 65F. The bottom will cool faster than the top, not just because it is sitting in the ice, but also because heat rises, right?

Back again on this thread. Last night when I soaped my MB Lye was THICK! It was thick like a slurpee. In my haste and frustration, I dumped it all out. Now in the light of day, I’m thinking I could have tried to save it by warming it up It was a full pound of lye and AVJ, and was fine when I made it. I am thinking the cabinet I keep it in with other soapy supplies got too cold. Bummer! 🤦🏻‍♀️🤦🏻‍♀️🤦🏻‍♀️

Latest posts

Back