Eczema soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Shampoo would be better but thank you for the link
yes, the shampoo is much better but I do not know if you master these ingredients (see how to translate!) :) :
hydro glycerine extract of neem power and nettle, lavender hydrolate, macerate of shikakai in hamamelis, xantana gum, inulin, oleate rosemary in olive oil, borage oil, evening primrose oil, Plantapon SF, Lamesoft, Decyl glucoside, Babassu mousse, N-acetyl-D-glucosamine, Algo'zinc, MSM, vital Maca, Sodium PCA, Polyquaternium - 7, Natural Hidroqueratina, Allantoin, Provitamine B5, Honeyquat, Chitin liquid, Vithaar, essential oils of sage, tea tree, thyme and geranium and cosgard

This is a testimony of a girl who drank raw milk (as well as cut-out processed foods) to heal her eczema. I found it very interesting!

[ame]http://youtu.be/vF3lq6kG2CU[/ame]

Also, someone mentioned they didn't know why pine tar soap worked for many people. My guess is that it's because of its anti-microbial properties. At least, that's why it's used on horse hooves. It cures infected hooves.

The doctors call eczema the itch that rashes. You probably are going to have to read that a couple of times to get it the right way around in your head. I know I did when the dermatologist handed me the paper explaining it many, many years ago(before the internet).

You get the itchy reaction to "whatever it is", and then the rash follows. But, first, middle, and last, it is that maddening itch.

What eczema is NOT is any kind of infection. I can't let that hang out there without putting it to rest. I understand that tar based recipes work for some, but it is not because it is curing some sort of infection.

Some people mistake impetigo or other itchy skin infections for bad eczema, some people scratch their eczema patches or dermatitis or heat-rash until it breaks the skin, allowing infection to set in and prevent healing. An anti-microbial soap - which pine-tar can be - can assist with healing infections that tend to come secondary to constant itching and irritation.

Soaps and lotions with drying properties can dry up crusty, weepy areas of raw skin that can be infection-prone and allow them to more easily dry up and scab over.

Nothing can 'cure' eczema -- it's a genetic autoimmune disorder where the body reacts mistakenly to perceived irritants.

You can reduce the impact it has on you by keeping your immune system healthy, using appropriate treatments for bad flare-ups to reduce inflammation and immune response, avoiding known allergies and triggers, which are different for every individual -- thus no 'one-size-fits-all' remedies -- and by keeping irritated areas clean, dry, and moisturized, and if a rash lasts in one spot more than a few days at a time, make sure it's not infected.

I'm not gonna say what my doc always told me about 'try not to itch' because that's just impossible lol. But try not to itch enough to break the skin or make it raw.

Both the antimicrobial and drying properties are what help horses with hoof-rot or fungal infections in their feet. We used to clean em with a spray-bottle with a dilute solution of bleach, then paint with the pine-tar once they dried. Somehow I don't think that particular method will work on the back of my knee or the crease of my elbow.

BTW -- many people with eczema or asthma must avoid milk, it's very good at triggering allergies, as well as excess mucous production. The milk protien passes too easily through the digestive tract into the bloodstream without being fully digested, because, well... we're humans, not baby cows lol. And we don't make all the enzymes as adults that babies make in order to properly digest milk. That's why it irritates the intestines, and triggers allergies when it gets in the bloodstream.

Last edited:
pine tar is not used on horses hooves for infection. They're used for moisture based problems in the hoof. Horses hooves can develop cracks and other problems for both dryness and too much moisture. Pine tar can be used for either problem, it can hold in the moisture in the hoof in dry areas or during dry times by sort of acting as a sealant, and that sealant can also help hold out excess moisture during wet times when there is a lot of mud. I've used pine tar on my horses.

Moisture is also a big cause of eczema, the lack of moisture can cause itching by itself and can also flare eczema in individuals with it. So its possible its helping eczema the same way it works on horses hooves.

The itch before the rash is important for diagnosis and treatment. A dermatologist will ask you which came first, the itch or the rash. Unfortunately most people don't remember by that time. Also other allergic conditions such as asthma or hay fever can help point to eczema being the problem.

pine tar is not used on horses hooves for infection. They're used for moisture based problems in the hoof. Horses hooves can develop cracks and other problems for both dryness and too much moisture. Pine tar can be used for either problem, it can hold in the moisture in the hoof in dry areas or during dry times by sort of acting as a sealant, and that sealant can also help hold out excess moisture during wet times when there is a lot of mud. I've used pine tar on my horses.

Moisture is also a big cause of eczema, the lack of moisture can cause itching by itself and can also flare eczema in individuals with it. So its possible its helping eczema the same way it works on horses hooves.

The itch before the rash is important for diagnosis and treatment. A dermatologist will ask you which came first, the itch or the rash. Unfortunately most people don't remember by that time. Also other allergic conditions such as asthma or hay fever can help point to eczema being the problem.

Right. We tended to have horses get infections during monsoon season when there was hardly anywhere dry to stand sometimes. The bleach-water or sometimes betadine-water solution was what the vet had us use for the infection, and then painting it with the tar to keep it as dry as we could. Never had an issue during the spring or summer, just during monsoon, and during the winter whenever the snow melted off. Tried rubber boots a few times to keep the feet dry, but they hated them and would rub them off. And then pick them up and toss them outside their fence. lol

But yes, that's why you have to keep irritated areas clean, dry AND moisturized. With eczema, it may not even be an environmental or food trigger, it can just be plain stress, with the stress hormones causing the overactive immune response, then the itching, then the rash from scratching and from release of the histamines and other immune cells.

My aunt used to get rashes all over the tops of her hands and feet when she'd get upset. I had bad stress-eczema on my hands and fingers for a long time as a teenager. Had to get steroid shots to stop it, because I'd first get the itch, then they'd get really hot, then tiny blisters, then they'd crack and I would end up going around with my fingers all taped up so I couldn't bend them and make them crack more. It was horrible. I still get it in the summer-time when it's hot. I have to keep cold soda cans or ice packs around to hold or hold my hands under cold water whenever I feel it starting. ugh.

Pine tar is a natural antiseptic and germicidal treatment for horses hooves. Its used on thrush and also I've seen it used for sores on the frog of the hooves when there is a thorn imbedded. I would assume the antibacterial and germicidal properties is what makes the soap valuable in skin issues. I know it works I guess the why isn't that important to me. Lol

Pine tar really is not a good idea for thrush. The problem is how moisture makes thrush worse as its the prime environment for the yeast to grow and multiply. So sealing in moisture around the frog with pine tar will actually make things worse. Horses in wet environments where the frog is not able to dry out, and failure to properly pick the hooves allowing packed in mud or shavings is the primary cause of thrush. It may have been used a long time ago but it doesn't make sense especially when you consider the wonderful thrush treatments out there today. I understand if people used pine tar back before they were around, but not today. My favorite is thrush buster, always worked fast and the dye helped you see where you're applying it and when you need to add some more.

So grateful that there are several people in this forum knowledgeable about eczema. We suspect that DH has it. After reading about the itch, then rash, I am pretty sure he does. Thanks for sharing this.

Plain unscented uncolored goat milk castile soap has been working really well for him. 100% OO and goat milk (not sure if castile or bastile...).

I will keep reading because if pine tar soap is better, then I'll make some. (Must find feed store and put that stick blender in the drawer...)

Latest posts

Back