Eczema soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

susan_e

Reaction score
Need help with a good eczema soap they have tried an oatmeal soap an an aloe soap neither helped

Eczema is more than a soap issue. It is an every-chemical-that-touches-the- skin issue. If they are continuing to use bubble bath, bath salts, laundry detergent or dryer sheets that are commercially produced, then no soap in the world is going to solve it. Also, you did not mention whether there were EOs or FOs in the soaps. That could be part of the problem.

Eczema is more than a soap issue. It is an every-chemical-that-touches-the- skin issue. If they are continuing to use bubble bath, bath salts, laundry detergent or dryer sheets that are commercially produced, then no soap in the world is going to solve it. Also, you did not mention whether there were EOs or FOs in the soaps. That could be part of the problem.

This is so very correct. The first line of action for helping eczema is to try and weed out what is causing it. There are also several types and levels of eczema from mild to severe to actually life threatening. If it is the dry skin type eczema then a mild soap with low coconut oil may be the answer or a pure castille. Pine tar can be an extremely high allergen, no matter what some think. It is not a cure all. For me salt bars and my cream soap base salt scrub is my friend with lots of lavender (10%). Dryer sheets can be dynamite for eczema as Susie mentioned. I would certainly start with a plain castile bar. Of course eczema can change from one day to the next. Something that has always been safe can suddenly be dangerous. I simply do not believe in eczema products and get so angry when I see people at markets selling "eczema soap or lotion".

This is so very correct. The first line of action for helping eczema is to try and weed out what is causing it. There are also several types and levels of eczema from mild to severe to actually life threatening. If it is the dry skin type eczema then a mild soap with low coconut oil may be the answer or a pure castille. Pine tar can be an extremely high allergen, no matter what some think. It is not a cure all. For me salt bars and my cream soap base salt scrub is my friend with lots of lavender (10%). Dryer sheets can be dynamite for eczema as Susie mentioned. I would certainly start with a plain castile bar. Of course eczema can change from one day to the next. Something that has always been safe can suddenly be dangerous. I simply do not believe in eczema products and get so angry when I see people at markets selling "eczema soap or lotion".

I totally agree. My son has eczema. Ive been making him whipped shea butter for years but now hes having an outbreak. He uses the shea and my handmade soap. I make my laundry detergent, but I didn't know about dryer sheets. I will have to look into this. With eczema there is no cure all product, so agree it should not be used as a marketing tool.

Eczema is a common skin problem with no definitive cause but here's some things that can help and combined in a soap may help out. Neem and tea tree oil may help if it is caused by fungal/bacterial/viral infection in your dermis which is a possible cause. Castor oil is high in ricinoleic acid which has anti inflammatory and analgesic effects. Rose oil is a EXCELLENT anti inflammatory which will help reduce redness and reduce any swelling. Pine tar has been touted as a eczema healer but have not read enough on this to figure out why. Lastly zinc both orally and topically can help reduce healing times in eczema outbreaks. As a long time sufferer as well I hope the outbreak is over soon, also try to help him de-stress as stress can trigger outbreaks as well. As a after thought you can also look into Candida yeast overgrowth but then again they say that it can cause just about everything.

Last edited:
Some are buying castile soap from me as it seems to be OK for their eczema.

My customer swear by my nettle soap and tea tree and seaweed with no fo or eo this is made in a. Castille base

When I started making soap, it was to try to control my eczema. I was making it to use in homemade laundry soap. I then decided to try it for bathing, because all the "Free and Clear" and MD recommended soaps were not keeping me eczema free. It was getting worse every week. I was tired of using hydrocortisone creams.

I swapped over to my homemade soap with no colors or EO's and laundry detergent with no dryer sheets and cleared my eczema up. I then could use All Free and Clear again.

The people with the eczema need to remove all the chemicals that touches their skin, swap strictly to your products until the eczema clears up. Then add back one product a week to determine what the issue is. And while I did not have food allergies causing eczema, others do as noted above. So they need to look at that also.

When I started using homemade soap, I already had everything I was using to be "free and clear" or "hypoallergenic" labeled stuff. Being allergic to the hypoallergenic soap and heavy moisturizing cream was the last straw! I was covered in rash and slathering on heavy duty prescription steroid cream twice a day. Since I'd already removed all other products that could be causing the issue, changing up the soap and starting to use straight vegetable oils (and now homemade body butters) made a huge difference.

When I started using homemade soap, I already had everything I was using to be "free and clear" or "hypoallergenic" labeled stuff. Being allergic to the hypoallergenic soap and heavy moisturizing cream was the last straw! I was covered in rash and slathering on heavy duty prescription steroid cream twice a day. Since I'd already removed all other products that could be causing the issue, changing up the soap and starting to use straight vegetable oils (and now homemade body butters) made a huge difference.
I do a shampoo and my son is doing very well

Polar are you willing to share the details on how to make it my son also suffers from it in on his head

Yes, eczema is an autoimmune issue. Many people confuse it with just dermatitis, which is similar but not the same. Eczema can CAUSE dermatitis, and can be triggered by things that cause dermatitis, as far as things that contact the skin, of course, but it can also be triggered by foods, allergies and illnesses, by getting overly tired, overly hot, overly cold, or just plain stressed. Much the same as asthma, actually.

yep, and eczema and asthma are usually found together. If you have one you're highly likely to develop the other.

Latest posts

Back