Help me make my first lotion

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Recipe update:
Sorry everyone use Hydrosol, not Hydrovance or just distilled water. I may have experimented with Hydrovance but normally I used Hydrosol. Hydrovance can be tricky without a ph meter to test. I have several tweaked printouts of my recipe. To address the dual preservative system that is the one that I found worked for my formulas and both had different temp requirements one better for mold and one better for fungus. Sorry, I double-checked the recipe and the is the only thing I would change.

Mischeff, yes Hydrovance can cause a ph drift that is why I just recommended using Hydrosol which I also used. I went back through more notes and I had to adjust ph with the Hydrovance when used in lotion.
Thank you for clarifying, @cmzaha. Hydrosol would be really lovely in this. I've made a small batch today and subbed Propanediol 1,3 for the Hydrovance. I don't have BHT but from some reading, I subbed it with Tocopherol.

Thank you for clarifying, @cmzaha. Hydrosol would be really lovely in this. I've made a small batch today and subbed Propanediol 1,3 for the Hydrovance. I don't have BHT but from some reading, I subbed it with Tocopherol.
How do you like it? I always wanted to try Propanediol but never got around to it, I am guessing it will make a really nice lotion.

If you ever make a larger batch I would love to buy some from you. I have not made any in forever and really miss my oil free lotion. Same offer goes to Alison.

How do you like it? I always wanted to try Propanediol but never got around to it, I am guessing it will make a really nice lotion.

If you ever make a larger batch I would love to buy some from you. I have not made any in forever and really miss my oil free lotion. Same offer goes to Alison.
Whatever, your money is no good with me. PM me your new address. ;)

Tell you what... you send me your address and I'll send a jar. I made 100 grams... 2 x 50 gm jars and I'd be happy to send you one, Carolyn.

I quite like it (it's only been a couple of hours so not really long enough to make a definitive comment), as does my husband.

I have several questions, lotion makers 😊

When buying new stainless steel, how in the world do you get all the weird residue off of it? I’ve washed and dried and washed and dried multiple times, and still get a small amount of grey stuff. Argh!

Colorants for lotions - how do you prepare your colorants? I mixed a tiny amount of mica in a tiny amount of my extra oil. I thought I had mixed well, but it still speckled, so I used the SB again to mix it in more evenly.

I’m using the DIY recipe - she says to cover tightly with plastic wrap, but when do you do this? I don’t want condensation to build up inside there.

Last one for now - when and how do you get your lotion into bottles? I was considering a piping bag, and want to know how soon I can give it a go. 🌸

I have several questions, lotion makers 😊

When buying new stainless steel, how in the world do you get all the weird residue off of it? I’ve washed and dried and washed and dried multiple times, and still get a small amount of grey stuff. Argh!

Colorants for lotions - how do you prepare your colorants? I mixed a tiny amount of mica in a tiny amount of my extra oil. I thought I had mixed well, but it still speckled, so I used the SB again to mix it in more evenly.

I’m using the DIY recipe - she says to cover tightly with plastic wrap, but when do you do this? I don’t want condensation to build up inside there.

Last one for now - when and how do you get your lotion into bottles? I was considering a piping bag, and want to know how soon I can give it a go. 🌸
I've never had an issue with "weird residue" from stainless steel. Or, maybe I just forgot; my stainless steel bowls are probably close to 30 years old.

I generally don't colour my lotions but, if I do, I tend to use water soluble colorants.

I'm not seeing the part where it says to cover tightly with plastic wrap. She does say to cover the container of concentrate tightly after it's cooled but not with plastic wrap.

I pour my lotions into bottles once it has come to room temperature, stirring occasionally; then, I leave it uncovered, with a paper towel over the bottles, overnight.

At first I didn't see it, but now I see the step 6 with the reference to plastic wrap. It's on the 13th page where it talks about making a basic lotion or cream (not the directions for making the concentrate). Honestly, I've never used plastic wrap for this step. I cover lightly with a towel.

There are two camps re: condensation on the lid/covering. Some say that it's a good way to trap moisture that would otherwise escape, and that you should try to pour it back into the lotion and stir it in. That's way too fussy for me, so I prefer a towel that will absorb the condensation. Since I pour so much sooner than she recommends, it's not that much condensation to begin with. BTW, if I waited 24 hours, it would be way too thick to easily decant into containers. Ain't go no time fo' dat.

Oh good, @AliOop - it was cooled off and pretty thick so I loaded it in a piping bag and filled my bottles. It feels lovely already! I used Meadowfoam Seed Oil for the 5% specialty oils.
I’ll use a towel next time to cover the top.
IMG_5117.jpeg

When buying new stainless steel, how in the world do you get all the weird residue off of it?
@dmcgee5034, do you mean the residue from labels, or is there some kind of residue on the whole thing? If the label, there is this awesome label gunk/adhesive remover called goo be gone which gets it off really well without damaging the finish. I used to use salt and oil to get stuff of stainless steel, but it didn't work perfectly and sometimes scratched the surface.

At first I didn't see it, but now I see the step 6 with the reference to plastic wrap. It's on the 13th page where it talks about making a basic lotion or cream (not the directions for making the concentrate). Honestly, I've never used plastic wrap for this step. I cover lightly with a towel.

There are two camps re: condensation on the lid/covering. Some say that it's a good way to trap moisture that would otherwise escape, and that you should try to pour it back into the lotion and stir it in. That's way too fussy for me, so I prefer a towel that will absorb the condensation. Since I pour so much sooner than she recommends, it's not that much condensation to begin with. BTW, if I waited 24 hours, it would be way too thick to easily decant into containers. Ain't go no time fo' dat.
Interesting. My version doesn't have a step 6 at all. Here's a screen shot of page 13 in the version I have (nothing of the recipe is given away so I don't see any issue with posting part of the directions):

7cembuM.png

Latest posts

Back