Easy to make wood mold.

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh hell ya. Great idea, and solves the entire problem. I'll grab some tomorrow on one of my many trips to Lowes and slap them on a mold.

Great thinking.

Please take pics and post them...I'm a visual person. I think if I can see it then it would be easier for me to make...or direct my husband to make :) ;)

I would put another set of screws under the bottom, otherwise thanks for the idea ;)

I'm not sure I follow. It's flush on the bottom, so I'm not sure how to get screws under the bottom? The other thing is, the idea is to keep the mold collapsible. Therefore it's a breeze to unmold your soap. I'm about to post some pics on the Soda Ash Test, where you can see this. One of the tests is still soft, yet I can pull it out of the mold without damaging it. Then my mold is freed up to go on to new soaps faster. :)

Thanks for the idea's .

Please take pics and post them...I'm a visual person. I think if I can see it then it would be easier for me to make...or direct my husband to make :) ;)

I will. I was actually thinking of something else, along the lines of Seawolfes great idea. Which ever one works out like I like it, I'll post some pics. Might just do both routes. :grin:

Ok, utilizing Seawolfe's great idea :clap: on the L-Brackets, with a slight twist. I wanted something that wouldn't protrude from the sides and found these. Here's the parts and procedure. And for Katie, here's the pics.

Found these at Lowe's.
Hardware Pack.jpgHardware Pack 2.jpg

To assemble. Put your mold together and tighten it down like your going to make soap. Turn it upside down and layout your brackets. I put mine 2 inches in from each end. I would recommend you pre drill holes, makes the installation of the screws easier and keeps the drill from chewing up the heads of the screws.

Hardware Layout.jpgPredrill.jpg

Then just screw down the brackets and the concerns on the bottom falling out are solved. I tested it with the side bolts loosened and you can see it still holds the bottom in place. Also, loosening the wing nuts still allows the bottom to slide out. Installed bottom.jpgtest loose.jpgstill slides.jpg

I won't be able to drop the soap out of the bottom anymore when it comes time to unmold. Still just as easy to undo the tape and lift the liner out the top, and no more worries about the bottom falling out. Wish it was that easy to keep the bottom from falling out of my stock portfolio. :think:

Justbeachy you are a genius, this is why I asked about another set of screws, worrying about the bottom falling out:))

I credit Seawolfes idea on L brackets. It's what led to the braces.

I'm working on a design along these lines to produce a 12 and 24 lb mold. I'll post it if I build one or the need for one pops up on the forum. I doubt I'll be needing to do more than 3 lb pours in the next 6 months or so.

Love this. Nice improvements too. Could you apply hinges to the bottom and sides?

Thanks.

I've seen some with hinges and honestly, can't really see the point. Just there so you can fold the side down, as opposed to just unscrewing and allowing it to open to release the soap? Seems like just one more moving part to break, clean etc. I'm a believer in keeping it as simple as possible without losing function.

Thanks.

I've seen some with hinges and honestly, can't really see the point. Just there so you can fold the side down, as opposed to just unscrewing and allowing it to open to release the soap? Seems like just one more moving part to break, clean etc. I'm a believer in keeping it as simple as possible without losing function.

I was just thinking of it as a way to hold the bottom on

Nice tute, Beachy! It makes buying silicone liners so much more economical if you make your own mold to put them in. Or if you choose to use freezer paper, you can make the mold to the dimensions of your choice. It really is something that anyone can do, and you've just showed us how. :thumbup:

I was just thinking of it as a way to hold the bottom on

That could be the reason for the ones I've seen with hinges. My idea though, was to be able to remove the bottom from the sides. Or just slide it out a bit to test the bottom of the pour for readiness to unmold. Without dropping the sides.

Nice tute, Beachy! It makes buying silicone liners so much more economical if you make your own mold to put them in. Or if you choose to use freezer paper, you can make the mold to the dimensions of your choice. It really is something that anyone can do, and you've just showed us how. :thumbup:

Yeah, that was my thinking. It's really an easy thing to make and very cost effective. Not to mention, you can build it to whatever dimensions you need. The idea should work great on a larger block mold too. I'll get around to that one in the next couple of months.

What a great idea! I 've made my own molds but they are so simple compared to that.. Nice work! I really love its flexibility!

Thanks, I liked the idea of getting rid of the one lb test molds, and just using the main mold.

Oh, let me throw one other little cost-saving idea on the heap. At home stores like Lowe's, they sell sheets of white corrugated plastic over with the mail boxes. (Most often it's used for making yard signs). They make great, reusable mold liners. You cut half way through the corrugated side with an Exacto or box cutter, being careful not to cut all the way through. Then you fold the smooth sides up to form the insides of the liner and use "Duck" tape to close the corners. I have several, and they work great for wooden molds.

Oh, let me throw one other little cost-saving idea on the heap. At home stores like Lowe's, they sell sheets of white corrugated plastic over with the mail boxes. (Most often it's used for making yard signs). They make great, reusable mold liners. You cut half way through the corrugated side with an Exacto or box cutter, being careful not to cut all the way through. Then you fold the smooth sides up to form the insides of the liner and use "Duck" tape to close the corners. I have several, and they work great for wooden molds.

That sounds like a great idea!

This is awesome! Now I just need a saw :D

I'm not sure if you're near a Lowe's or Home Depot, but they will usually do some cuts for you. Only 4 cuts so it shouldn't be that bad. Lots of times they say they charge for it, but I've never been charged to rip plywood and such. Of course I'm in there a lot, most of them know me by name. :razz:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back