Dual Lye Mistake/Fix

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dibbles

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I finally got some KOH to try using it in a dual lye soap. I was playing around with a recipe on Soapee and planned to make two batches to see the difference between NaOH/KOH and NaOH. I want the soaps to be the same age for comparison. I weighed my water and added the NaOH. When I went to weigh the KOH, I realized that in all my Soapee tweaking I forgot to reset the percentages and was doing a 50/50 mix. I set that aside, covered with plastic wrap and started over. I will do a fresh batch of NaOH only today (hopefully).

I have figured out the additional amount of NaOH and water I need to use to make a third batch. Will the lye solution I mixed up yesterday and covered with plastic wrap be OK to use a few days later? And can I just add the additional water and NaOH to what is already in the lye pitcher or is it better to mix it separately and and add to the oils along with what was already mixed?

Thanks for the replies. I was pretty sure it would be fine to use, but I find myself back in newbie territory. TEG, I'll look out for that - good tip!

Latest posts

Back