Do some fragrance oils get stronger over time?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Maythorn

Reaction score
I was just wondering about this. I bet keeping them in glass would help also.

Fragrance Oils and Essential Oils should always be stored in dark glass bottles in a dark environment. I still hate how some suppliers ship them in plastic bottles and want you to transfer them to glass yourself. EOs & FOs will leach the plastic over time. Get stronger over time? I don't know so much about that, but they will definitely get weaker if not stored properly.

ew, leach the plastic sounds unhealthy. Some health stores carry blue and brown glass bottles. Thanks.

Yeah, plastic leaching into your essential or fragrance oil would taint it and then it would be useless :cry:
Those blue or brown glass bottles you mentioned are perfect...you can get them a LOT cheaper from SKS or another packaging supply. At Nutrition S'Mart here in Tampa, they are almost $4 each for a 1 oz bottle!

Oh that would be way too much to pay. I like Oregon Trails and I think you can ask to have your scents put in glass instead of the plastic. Bra.mbleberry automatically uses glass from what I've heard

I order from Essential Depot or Camden Grey. Essential Depot ships in glass or stainless steel bottles for large quantities. Camden Grey sends anything over 4 oz in brown plastic bottles and suggests you transfer them into glass bottles upon receipt. That seems incredibly wasteful to me. I think they do that to save on shipping and to keep breakage to a minimum, but there has to be a better way of shipping glass! Their products are high quality and they have great prices, but it irritates me when I order by the pound and it comes in plastic. I'd rather pay extra shipping and get a glass bottle.

I've never heard of Camden Grey. Not a flat rate shipping with those companies I guess? Symphony Scents does glass, too, at a flat rate and I really appreciated the one order I got from them. It was very carefully packaged. I notice the Red Clover Tea bar I made (just one bar) is really strong. I left a Love Spell in plastic for a long time and it now smells like kind of a light, sweet fleeting grapefruit, My mistake doing that, I should have soaped it immediately.

I've never had a FO or EO get stronger over time, only weaker. Thank you for the information on the plastic bottles. Guess I will have to transfer my oils into brown glass.

Latest posts

Back