Dead Sea Salt

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Do not use dead sea salt -use either table, sea, rock even cooking salt, but if you use dead sea salt you'll end up with a gloopy mess, It doesn't soap well -I think it's because it has so many other minerals included that it just 'dissolves'. Hopefully one of the soap masters or mods will explain it better to you than me.

trishwosere said:
Do not use dead sea salt -use either table, sea, rock even cooking salt, but if you use dead sea salt you'll end up with a gloopy mess, It doesn't soap well -I think it's because it has so many other minerals included that it just 'dissolves'. Hopefully one of the soap masters or mods will explain it better to you than me.

this! it will set up the texture of cement, weeping, sweating, no lather and nothing nice to say for it. it's about the only soap i've made for which there was no remedy except trashing it. dead sea salt is lovely in bath bombs, salts and other products -- save yourself some grief and use it anywhere but in soap.

My 2nd or third batch if cold process soap I thought how pretty the pink salt would be as embeds. It hardened in my bowl before I even had a chnce to spoon even a quarter of it in the molds i had out. Ever since then I have not tried to add any salt to the soap. But I am getting confident i want to try with reg sea salt in The lye water.

Back